Computer Science undergrad. in Canada - Small uni vs Big uni

In summary, a student from Norway who is interested in studying computer science and software design and development has recently considered the possibility of studying abroad in Canada. They are considering attending a smaller, more intimate university for their undergraduate degree in order to save money, but are wondering if this will affect their chances of getting into a good graduate school. They are currently studying at a larger university in Canada and have noticed both advantages and disadvantages of being in a smaller department. They believe that graduate schools care more about academic record and research potential rather than where the undergraduate degree was completed.
cjwalle
Greetings,

Recently, while for what must be the thousandth time, I've rethought my plans for university, and discovered that studying something I've always been very interested in - Computer Science, software design and development - is an actual possibility. For some reason, I've never thought of this path before.

I'm a Norwegian student enrolled in the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. I want to study abroad, and Canada seems like the most viable option, for a multitude of reasons. So, on to my question.

I have every intent to go to grad school, and have never considered stopping at a bachelor's. So what I'm wondering is which type of university it would be beneficial for me to attend with regards to grad school: A big, research-heavy school such as University of Toronto; or a smaller, more 'intimate' school like Mount Allison, UNBC, Acadia and StFX, to take the top 4 of the newest Maclean Primarily Undergraduate ranking list.

As an international student, the smaller schools are significantly cheaper. Mount Allison and StFX would both cost me around $13-14k a year in tuition, while the bigger schools would run me over $20k a year. This limits my choice of big schools, as I'm reliant on an additional stipend from the Norwegian government to cover the tuition, and only Queen's, UBC and U of T qualify for this stipend.

Personally, I think I'd enjoy the smaller, more intimate environment of a small school, and would learn better in this environment. Will grad schools I apply to care which school I'm from? If so, do they look favorably upon smaller schools? Or will they just care about my grades and research?

Any feedback is appreciated. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that for you undergraduate degree, its a matter of personal preference. I am currently in my last year of my undergrad completing an Honours Specialization in Computer Science with a Major in Physics at the University of Western Ontario in London, Canada.

Western is quite a large university, but the computer science department here is small. That has both advantages and disadvantages. As an advantage, you get to know the professors and other students in the department quite well. As a disadvantage, there seems to be fewer opportunities for undergraduates to do paid research (fewer NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards for instance), and the positions that do exist don't pay nearly as well as other departments, such as Physics which is only slightly larger. Also, the undergraduate computing facilities in Computer Science at Western are not all that great. Although I don't know the details of the department's funding, I expect that a larger computer science department would have more funding available for computing facilities and hopefully undergraduate research as well.

At the undergraduate level, I don't think there are large differences between programs. Students who continue onto graduate school typically change schools again to complete their master's and/or Ph.D. in order to get a larger breadth of experience in their field and its not until you apply to graduate school that you really need to take a critical look at the departments that you're applying to. I think graduate schools look more at your academic record and research potential and don't really care where you did you undergrad. However, I expect I will gain more experience with this in the coming weeks and months.

As a fellow computer science researcher, I can understand your dilemma and the importance of choosing the right university for your undergraduate studies. Both big and small universities have their own advantages and it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and goals.

Big universities like University of Toronto have a strong research focus and may offer more opportunities for research experience and connections with established researchers. This can be beneficial if you are considering pursuing a graduate degree in computer science. However, smaller universities like Mount Allison and StFX can also offer valuable research opportunities and may have a more personalized and intimate learning environment.

When it comes to grad school admissions, universities will primarily look at your grades and research experience. However, the reputation and prestige of your undergraduate institution can also play a role. That being said, smaller universities can also have strong computer science programs and produce successful graduates. It is important to research and compare the specific programs and opportunities offered by each university to make an informed decision.

In terms of cost, it is understandable that the smaller universities may seem more appealing as an international student. However, it is important to consider the overall quality of education and opportunities offered by the university rather than just the cost. Additionally, you can also look into scholarships and funding opportunities to help with the cost of attending a bigger university.

In conclusion, both big and small universities can offer valuable education and research experiences in computer science. It is important to consider your personal preferences, goals, and the specific programs and opportunities offered by each university when making your decision. Good luck in your studies!

Related to Computer Science undergrad. in Canada - Small uni vs Big uni

1. What are the main differences between studying Computer Science at a small university versus a big university in Canada?

The main differences between studying Computer Science at a small university and a big university in Canada are the class sizes, resources and opportunities available, and the overall culture and community. Small universities tend to have smaller class sizes, which can allow for more personalized attention from professors. However, big universities often have more resources, such as advanced technology and research facilities, and offer a wider variety of courses and programs. Additionally, big universities tend to have a more diverse and vibrant student population, while small universities may offer a closer-knit community.

2. How does the curriculum of a Computer Science program differ between a small university and a big university in Canada?

The core curriculum of a Computer Science program is generally similar between small and big universities in Canada. Both types of universities will cover fundamental topics such as programming, data structures, algorithms, and computer systems. However, big universities may offer more specialized and advanced courses, such as artificial intelligence or cybersecurity, due to their larger faculty and resources. Small universities may have a more focused curriculum, with a stronger emphasis on practical skills and hands-on experience.

3. Are there any advantages to attending a small university for a Computer Science degree in Canada?

There are several potential advantages to attending a small university for a Computer Science degree in Canada. As mentioned earlier, smaller class sizes can allow for more personalized attention from professors, which can be beneficial for students who may need extra help or have specific learning styles. Additionally, smaller universities may have closer connections with local technology companies, providing more internship and job opportunities for students. Small universities may also have a stronger sense of community, which can contribute to a more supportive and collaborative learning environment.

4. What are the potential drawbacks of attending a big university for a Computer Science degree in Canada?

One potential drawback of attending a big university for a Computer Science degree in Canada is the potential for larger class sizes. This can make it more challenging for students to receive personalized attention and may result in a more competitive and less collaborative learning environment. Additionally, big universities may have limited resources and opportunities available, as they are often shared among a larger student population. It can also be overwhelming for students who prefer a smaller, more intimate learning environment.

5. How important is the reputation of the university when choosing a Computer Science program in Canada?

The reputation of the university can be an important factor to consider when choosing a Computer Science program in Canada. A university's reputation can impact the quality of education, as well as the opportunities available to students, such as internships and job placements. However, it is also essential to consider other factors such as the curriculum, faculty, and resources available at the university. Ultimately, the best university for a student will depend on their individual needs and goals.