Computer/processor logic design textbook recommendations?

In summary, the person is looking for a computer logic textbook that focuses on hardware design rather than software design. They are specifically interested in understanding how instructions are executed, from memory to register file to ALU and back. They are seeking recommendations for a book from an electrical engineer's perspective, rather than a software engineer's. The responder suggests starting with the book "Fundamentals of Logic Design" by Charles Roth and then moving on to "Computer Architecture" by Patterson and Hennessy. They recommend getting older editions of both books for a more affordable option.
vartanieno
Looking for a solid introductory text on computer logic with emphasize on hardware design. There is tons of material out there, but it seems to me most of them are oriented towards low level software design, rather then hardware design: lots of register transfer codes, VHDL/Verilog simulations, but not a single logic diagram in the book. Want to see HOW my instructions are executed: from memory to register file, to ALU, back to memory, etc.. In other words, I need an electrical engineer's perspective on the subject, not a software engineer's one! Any recommendations? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first I would say that Logic Design and Computer Hardware Design are slightly different things. If you don't have a solid grasp of elementary logic design you'll drown trying to read a Computer Architecture text. If you want to start with digital logic, I suggest using the book "Fundamentals of Logic Design" by Charles Roth. You can get an old edition super-cheap since the fundamentals haven't changed in decades: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534954723/?tag=pfamazon01-20

If you're already comfortable with Logic Design or you finish going through the Logic Design book I linked to, the Bible of Computer Architecture is Patterson and Hennessy:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0123747503/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Again, I've linked to an old edition that is cheaper but more than good enough.

Related to Computer/processor logic design textbook recommendations?

1. What is the best textbook for beginners in computer/processor logic design?

The best textbook for beginners in computer/processor logic design would be "Digital Design and Computer Architecture" by David Money Harris and Sarah L. Harris. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the subject and includes hands-on exercises and examples.

2. Are there any textbooks that cover both theoretical and practical aspects of computer/processor logic design?

Yes, "Computer Organization and Design" by David Patterson and John Hennessy is a popular textbook that covers both theoretical concepts and practical applications of computer/processor logic design. It also includes case studies and real-world examples.

3. I have a background in electrical engineering, which textbook would be suitable for me to learn computer/processor logic design?

If you have a background in electrical engineering, "Logic and Computer Design Fundamentals" by M. Morris Mano and Charles Kime would be a good choice. It covers the fundamentals of logic design and provides a solid foundation for further studies in computer architecture.

4. Are there any textbooks that focus specifically on the design of processors?

Yes, "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" by John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson is a widely used textbook that focuses on the design of processors. It covers topics such as instruction set architecture, pipelining, and memory hierarchy.

5. What is the most up-to-date textbook on computer/processor logic design?

The most up-to-date textbook on computer/processor logic design is "Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective" by Randal E. Bryant and David R. O'Hallaron. It covers the latest advancements in computer architecture and includes practical examples and exercises for hands-on learning.