Computer has intermittent freezing problems

In summary, the speaker is experiencing intermittent freezing problems when using their computer in the morning. This is due to too many programs starting up at once. A possible solution is to deselect most programs from the startup tab in the msconfig window. However, this did not solve the issue and the speaker is concerned about the overall health of their computer. They are uncertain about the amount of memory, free hard drive space, and processor specifications.
leroyjenkens
When I first turn on my computer in the morning, it will have intermittent freezing problems when I'm trying to do stuff. Like if I come here and click on something, it will freeze for a few seconds, but my cursor can still move, but it's just slow. After everything I do, it will stop, take a little while to load and then I can do something else. Sometimes the browser will say "not responding" and then it will start working again in a few seconds. It does this until the computer has been on for a little while, then it's normal, almost like it has to warm up first. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You have too much starting when the computer starts and so until all of that has run and cleared you can't do much. (Imagine 30 programs trying to run all at once when it starts and you trying to work on top of it.)

If you're running windows, type msconfig into run and hit return (enter).

Click on the startup tab and then deselect everything in there except for anti-virus and from my experience anything Apple related.

Hit apply and then ok and it should prompt for restart.

Now restart it and see how it runs.

I tried that but it's still doing the same thing. I'm afraid this computer is going to crap out on me soon. I've had it a while and I use it a lot. Think this is signs of a near death?

How much memory does it have?

How much free HD space?

What is the processor?

Based on the information provided, it seems like there could be a few potential causes for the intermittent freezing issues. One possibility could be a software issue, where certain programs or processes are causing the computer to freeze. It could also be a hardware issue, such as a faulty component or overheating. To determine the exact cause, it would be helpful to gather more information and run some diagnostic tests. This could include checking for any software updates, running a virus scan, and monitoring the computer's temperature. It may also be helpful to keep track of which programs or actions trigger the freezing, as this could provide clues to the underlying issue. Ultimately, it may be necessary to consult a computer technician for further assistance in troubleshooting and resolving the problem.

Related to Computer has intermittent freezing problems

1. What could be causing my computer to freeze intermittently?

There are several potential causes for intermittent freezing problems on a computer. It could be due to a lack of memory or processing power, software conflicts or errors, malware or viruses, or hardware issues.

2. How can I troubleshoot and fix intermittent freezing on my computer?

To troubleshoot freezing problems on your computer, you can try closing any unnecessary programs, running a virus scan, updating your software and drivers, checking for overheating, and performing a system restore or reinstalling your operating system if necessary. It may also be helpful to consult online forums or seek professional assistance.

3. Is there a way to prevent my computer from freezing intermittently in the future?

While it is impossible to completely prevent freezing problems on a computer, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening. These include regularly updating your software and drivers, using reputable antivirus and anti-malware programs, and avoiding overloading your computer with too many programs or files.

4. Can hardware issues cause intermittent freezing on a computer?

Yes, hardware issues such as faulty RAM, a failing hard drive, or overheating components can all cause intermittent freezing on a computer. It's important to regularly check and maintain your hardware to prevent these issues from occurring.

5. Should I be concerned if my computer is freezing intermittently?

While occasional freezing may not be a cause for concern, frequent or prolonged freezing can indicate underlying issues that should be addressed. If your computer is freezing regularly, it's best to troubleshoot and fix the problem to prevent further damage or data loss.