Compute Translation, Rotation in SE(3) with Chasles Theorem

• Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the axis, length of translation, angle of rotation, and radius of rotation for an element in SE(3) using Chasles' theorem. The person asking the question is looking for an algorithm for this computation, but it is mentioned that the accuracy of the input is crucial. The conversation also mentions the possibility of finding information in another language.
hunt_mat
Homework Helper
Suppose I have an element of [itex]SE(3)[\itex]. I know this can be thought of as a translation along an axis and rotation about that axis due to Chasles theorem.

My question is simple: How do I go about computing the axis, length of the translation, angle of the rotation and radius of the rotation?

It sounds as if it could be rather algorithmic but for the life of me I can't seem to find much information on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of. I will have a look. What I wanted ideally was something which would give me an algorithm to computing them.

An algorithm heavily depends on an accurate definition of the input.
To be honest I haven't found and don't know about the Chasles' theorem. There have been several related formulations and connected theorems (e.g. Euler). The only advantage I might have had is to search in an additional language. E.g. I found an article from Zurich but it was plenty of wording and only few formulas.

Related to Compute Translation, Rotation in SE(3) with Chasles Theorem

1. What is Chasles Theorem?

Chasles Theorem is a mathematical principle that states that any rigid motion in three-dimensional space can be represented by a combination of translation along an axis and rotation around that axis.

2. How is Chasles Theorem used in computing translation and rotation in SE(3)?

Chasles Theorem is used to break down a rigid motion in SE(3) into its individual components of translation and rotation. This allows for easier computation and analysis of the motion.

3. What is SE(3) and why is it important in computer science?

SE(3) refers to the special Euclidean group of three-dimensional space, which includes all possible rigid motions. It is important in computer science because it is used to represent and manipulate three-dimensional objects and their transformations in computer graphics, robotics, and other fields.

4. Can Chasles Theorem be applied to non-rigid motions?

No, Chasles Theorem only applies to rigid motions, which are movements that preserve the shape and size of an object. Non-rigid motions, such as stretching or compressing an object, cannot be represented by a combination of translation and rotation.

5. What are some practical applications of computing translation and rotation using Chasles Theorem?

Some practical applications include motion planning for robots, computer animation, and virtual reality simulations. Chasles Theorem allows for precise and efficient computation of complex movements in three-dimensional space.