Compute SHO Propagator: Eigenfunction Expansion

In summary, The conversation discusses the computation of the SHO propagator through different methods such as computing the action and using the eigenfunction expansion. An expression involving Hermite polynomials and the generating function is also mentioned, but it only applies to a single polynomial, not a product. The conversation ends with the mention of the Mehler formula as a possible solution.
chafelix
I know how to do SHO propagator by computing the action. I was only trying to do it
via the eigenfunction expansion
K(x’,x;t)=sum_ i phi_i(x’) phi_i(x) exp(-iε_it/hbar )=(m omega/pi*hbar)
sum_i=-^infty h_i(y’) h_i(y) exp[-(y**2+y’**2)/2] [s(t)/2]**i
with s(t)=exp(-iomega t)
This looks close, but not quite there:
I can get the 1/i! from the Hermite polynomials h_i, and I can use the generating function, but that only applies to a single h, not a product. Am I missing something along this way? I also tried substituting the expression involving (y-d/dy)**i for the h_i, but cannot get it to work

Physics news on Phys.org
ok, need the Mehler formula

It seems like you have a good understanding of the SHO propagator and the eigenfunction expansion method. However, your expression for the propagator is not quite correct. The correct expression is:

K(x',x;t) = (mω/πℏ)exp[-(mω/2ℏ)(x^2+x'^2)cos(ωt) + (mω/2ℏ)(xx'sin(ωt)]

To derive this expression, you can use the eigenfunction expansion method by expressing the propagator as a sum over the eigenfunctions of the SHO Hamiltonian. This will lead to the expression you have, but with the additional cosine and sine terms.

Alternatively, you can also use the Feynman path integral method to compute the SHO propagator. This method involves summing over all possible paths from the initial position x to the final position x' in a given time t. This will also lead to the correct expression for the propagator.

I suggest reviewing your calculations and double-checking your algebra to ensure that you have the correct expression. It's also a good idea to consult a textbook or other reliable source for guidance. Keep up the good work!

Related to Compute SHO Propagator: Eigenfunction Expansion

1. What is the purpose of computing the SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion?

The SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion is used to model the time evolution of a quantum mechanical system, specifically the simple harmonic oscillator. It allows for the prediction of the probability of finding the system in a certain state at a specific time.

2. What is the mathematical concept behind eigenfunction expansion?

Eigenfunction expansion is based on the principle that any function can be expressed as a linear combination of eigenfunctions of the system's Hamiltonian. In the case of the SHO, the eigenfunctions are the Hermite polynomials.

3. How does the SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion differ from other methods?

The SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion is a mathematically rigorous method that allows for the exact calculation of the propagator. Other methods, such as numerical integration, may provide approximate solutions but are not as precise as eigenfunction expansion.

4. What are the limitations of using eigenfunction expansion for computing the SHO propagator?

One limitation is that it can only be applied to systems with known analytical solutions, as the eigenfunctions must be known. Another limitation is that it can become computationally intensive for more complex systems with a large number of eigenfunctions.

5. How is the SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion used in practical applications?

The SHO propagator using eigenfunction expansion is used in various fields such as quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and quantum field theory. It is particularly useful in calculating transition probabilities and studying the time evolution of quantum systems.