Computational Physics: The Future of Network Code Development?

In summary: I imagine it would depend on the area you work in. For example, if you work with theoretical problems or simulations a lot, then your employability would be higher in the theoretical/scientific area. However, if you work with applied problems where you need to use large scale computation, then your employability would be lower in that area.
cscott
Would you ever be writing network code as a computational physicist?

Physics news on Phys.org
... network code, are you referring to 'common network operations' (in a network of computers) or am I just missing something?

I just mean writing the code for communication over a network. (ie. sending data back and forth)

Yes, I realize this is kind of a random question :-p

Last edited:
Speaking of computational physics... I have an indepedent study (HS student) on differential equations and I was wondering if anyone knows anything simple enough that I'd be able do. I haven't haven't taken any classes on numerical analysis or anything but I can get by programming in C or Python.

cscott said:
I just mean writing the code for communication over a network. (ie. sending data back and forth)

Yes, I realize this is kind of a random question :-p

... would say not the primary forte, but comp phys involves lots of computational work :biggrin: , and for example anything bit larger is nowadays done parallel using multiple CPUs/clusters etc. and as such knowledge of what "goes on in there" is important for example when writing software which would process your work efficiently. And then there is of course the weird thing that comp phys does involve quite a bit of 'practical' work in the hardware/software areas and even not so usual tasks seem to find their way to peoples desks :biggrin: .

cscott said:
Speaking of computational physics... I have an indepedent study (HS student) on differential equations and I was wondering if anyone knows anything simple enough that I'd be able do. I haven't haven't taken any classes on numerical analysis or anything but I can get by programming in C or Python.

Implementing something 'complex/simple enough' to numerically solve some differential equation problem might be interesting. Lots of numerical methods available for different equations, which don't really need that much numerical analysis education to grasp. Identifying an interesting application (or anything which wouldn't blow the workload beyond "humanly" doable) and building a discretization around it & solving using some numerical methodology (the discretization referring to selecting an appropriately complex/simple method and problem formulation to work on) which fits the problem might be it. 'What' is a tougher question, wouldn't hurt if you'd had some previous info and experience about the problem area would start working on.

Thanks for your insights Perennial.

As for the numerical stuff for my project, I will take your advice; I'll search for some problems and see what you think.

Numerical Recipes in C C++ or Fortran(i think they published in fortran)
pick up one of those books...go to a university library and pay the ~$50-100 fee...so you can borrow the books =]

start off with some simple stuff...write vector code 2D,3D,4D, write Matrix Code 2x2,3x3,4x4...code all the operations...write some functional code for integration(quadtratures) and Differentation, write some rooting finding stuf based on Newtons law ...man my memory is shot i can't remember any of the other algorithmic names. Then do some higher ODE/PDE stuff like RK4

These are standard stuff from an intro to num. anal. course

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay, but thanks neurocomp.

I wonder about the employability of computational scientists compared to their theoretical and experimental couterparts? What about in the industry?

I can only see large scale computation being used more and more in the furture, no? :biggrin:

Related to Computational Physics: The Future of Network Code Development?

What is "Comp. Physics - Network Code"?

"Comp. Physics - Network Code" is a term used to refer to the computational physics involved in developing and implementing network code. Network code is a set of instructions and protocols used to enable communication and data transfer between different devices and systems over a network.

What is the importance of "Comp. Physics - Network Code"?

"Comp. Physics - Network Code" is crucial for various applications, such as online gaming, video streaming, and data transfer. It allows for efficient and reliable communication between devices, even over long distances.

What are the key components of "Comp. Physics - Network Code"?

The key components of "Comp. Physics - Network Code" include algorithms for data compression, error correction, and data encryption, as well as protocols for data transmission and network management.

What are the challenges in developing "Comp. Physics - Network Code"?

Developing "Comp. Physics - Network Code" can be complex and challenging due to the need for high-speed data transfer, low latency, and reliable communication. This requires advanced computational techniques and a thorough understanding of network protocols and physics principles.

How is "Comp. Physics - Network Code" used in various industries?

"Comp. Physics - Network Code" is used in various industries such as gaming, telecommunications, transportation, and healthcare. It enables real-time communication, data transfer, and remote control, leading to improved efficiency and convenience in these industries.