Compton Scattering Problem

In summary, by expressing the Compton wavelength of the electron in terms of the maximum photon wavelength needed for pair production, it can be shown that regardless of its initial energy, a photon cannot undergo Compton scattering through an angle of more than 60 degrees and still produce an electron-positron pair. This is because the maximum wavelength needed for pair production is directly related to the Compton wavelength of the electron, and when the angle of scattering reaches 60 degrees, the wavelength of the scattered photon exceeds this maximum value, making the creation of an electron-positron pair impossible.
Prologue

Homework Statement

Show that, regardless of its initial energy, a photon cannot undergo compton scattering through an angle of more than 60 degrees and still be able to produce an electron positron pair. (Hint: Start by expressing the Compton wavelength of the electron in terms of the maximum photon wavelength needed for pair production.)

Electron/Positron rest energy: 0.511 MeV

Homework Equations

Compton equation: [tex]\lambda' - \lambda = \lambda_{c}(1 - cos(\phi))[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\lambda_{c} = \frac{h}{mc} = 2.426*10^{-12}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{Mass of e^{-}*Mass of e^{+}}{h} = \frac{2(0.511)*10^{6}eV}{3.97*10^{-15}eV*s} = 2.57 * 10^{20}Hz[/tex]

Umm yeah, that is about it. In other words I have no idea how to express it in terms of the maximum wavelength needed for pair production. I'll keep working on it though.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The units of lambda_c are meters. Don't leave off units. For the second calculation you mean sum of the rest energies, not product of the rest masses (at least that's what you actually calculated). Now turn that Hz into a wavelength. That's the maximum value of lambda'. Now put theta=60 degrees in. What do you notice?

I did notice what was happening, but I didn't know how to show it. You are correct about the multiplying of the masses, I was really just trying to illustrate what I was doing in the next step, you are correct that it should be a sum. I ended up going with the 'explanation in english' approach rather than a more mathematical way. Thanks for the reply.

Related to Compton Scattering Problem

1. What is Compton scattering and why is it important?

Compton scattering is a phenomenon in which a photon (a particle of light) collides with a charged particle, such as an electron, and loses some of its energy. This results in a change in the photon's wavelength and direction. This process is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electromagnetic radiation, such as light, and also has applications in fields such as medical imaging and astrophysics.

2. How does Compton scattering occur?

Compton scattering occurs when a photon interacts with an electron and transfers some of its energy to the electron. The electron then absorbs the energy and moves to a higher energy level, while the photon continues on with less energy and a longer wavelength.

3. What is the mathematical formula for calculating the energy of a scattered photon?

The formula for calculating the energy of a scattered photon is E = hf - hf', where E is the energy of the scattered photon, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident photon, and f' is the frequency of the scattered photon.

4. Can Compton scattering be used to determine the mass of an electron?

Yes, Compton scattering can be used to determine the mass of an electron. By measuring the change in wavelength and energy of a scattered photon, the mass of the electron can be calculated using the formula E = (mec^2)/√(1 - (v/c)^2), where me is the mass of the electron, c is the speed of light, and v is the velocity of the electron.

5. What are some real-world applications of Compton scattering?

Compton scattering has many practical applications, including medical imaging techniques such as computed tomography (CT) scans and positron emission tomography (PET) scans. It is also used in materials science to study the structure and composition of materials. In addition, Compton scattering is an important process in understanding the properties of cosmic rays and other high-energy particles in the universe.