CompSci vs Software Engineering

In summary, there is a lot of debate over which major, computer science or honors math, is better for a career. While computer science majors have seen a rise in demand and starting salaries at big tech companies, there are also concerns about long work hours and high cost of living. It is not clear if having a Professional Engineer (PE) certification is necessary for software engineers. However, job satisfaction and potential for wealth may also be important factors to consider. Ultimately, computer science is more theoretical and focuses on algorithms, while software engineering is more practical and deals with business applications.
STEMucator
Homework Helper
You know the deal. Very controversial topic.

I'm currently enrolled in double major computer science and honors math, computing theory and numerical methods.

Lots of different opinions on which one is better than the other in terms of a career.

Pay is always debatable in the sense that one can make more than the other and vice versa, but which one is more consistent at making more money?

Which one has more demand? Recently the demand for computer science majors has risen so dramatically; Starting salaries at big tech companies are hitting 6-figure starting rates. Then again, a software engineer can do the same job and has professional backing so they have almost as much demand I would say?

Although, being a P.Eng means you can be held liable if something goes wrong. If it does, then it's on your head, literally.

What are your views on this matter?

Physics news on Phys.org
Recently the demand for computer science majors has risen so dramatically; Starting salaries at big tech companies are hitting 6-figure starting rates.

That is a little bit of a deceptive statement. The entry level pay for top tier applicants at a few big internet companies might push 6-figures. Those companies also get applications from 50% of the CS and SE graduates (lucky if you even get a response to submitting a resume), tend to work people 60+ hours a week, and are based in a very expensive area to live.

Degree wise, overall it doesn't really matter. SE and CS are almost always going to compete for the same jobs and I don't know that either has a leg up on the other one. Entry level what can set one apart is showing something initiative and ability. Write a cell phone app and try to sell it through Apple app store or do research into data mining or something of the sort.

Not sure if I have ever heard of a software engineer getting a PE. I suppose it is possible, but am not sure what jobs it would be needed for.

Floid said:
That is a little bit of a deceptive statement.
Exactly. The median salary in the US for entry level programmers with a bachelors degree is $55,000.

Not sure if I have ever heard of a software engineer getting a PE. I suppose it is possible, but am not sure what jobs it would be needed for.
Apparently so in Ontario, Canada. Elsewhere, no.

Companies that build commodity software products hire lawyers to write those beastly end user license agreements that completely remove any responsibilities for usability, correctness, and any side effects caused by the software. Companies that develop custom software have tests for correctness etc. spelled out rather clearly in the contract. The practice of building and releasing software without the official blessing of a certified professional engineer is so widespread that the concept doesn't quite make sense.

Sometimes salary is not all that matters, job satisfaction also stand out as an important parameter but I guess that is an topic of another forum.

A software engineer is bound to get higher pay and have more demand. Usually when places list the need for a computer science major they need them for software engineering related topics. Software engineer is more likely to get you a high paying management position at a fortune 500 company. Where as computer science is much better suited for academic and research purposes.

Now if you can come up with a revolutionary idea with your computer science research you could end up very wealthy. But software engineering is bound to be more consistent, high paying, stable, and always in demand.

Software engineers are more like people who design, write, and make business applications more so then computer science.

Computer science is much much more theoretical, studying algorithms for speed. Designing computer languages, and overall theoretical ideals. Computer Science is a science as opposed to software engineering which is much more engineering/applied.

In my opinion at least computer science is more interesting then software engineering.

Last edited:

Related to CompSci vs Software Engineering

What is the difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering?

Computer Science is a broad field that focuses on the theoretical foundations of computing and programming. It covers topics such as algorithms, data structures, and programming languages. Software Engineering, on the other hand, is a more specialized field that focuses on the practical application of software development principles and techniques to design, develop, and maintain software systems.

What are the main skills required for a career in Computer Science?

Some of the key skills required for a career in Computer Science include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in programming languages, critical thinking skills, and the ability to work with complex systems and data. Additionally, strong communication and teamwork skills are also essential for collaborating with others in the field.

What are the main skills required for a career in Software Engineering?

In addition to the core Computer Science skills, a career in Software Engineering also requires knowledge of software development methodologies, project management, and software testing and debugging. Strong coding skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work in teams are also important for success in this field.

Which field has better job opportunities, Computer Science or Software Engineering?

Both Computer Science and Software Engineering offer excellent job opportunities, as the demand for skilled professionals in these fields continues to grow. However, the specific job opportunities may vary depending on the industry and location. It is important to research and consider your interests and strengths when choosing a career path.

Can I switch between a career in Computer Science and Software Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to switch between a career in Computer Science and Software Engineering. Many of the skills and knowledge required for these fields overlap, making it easier to transition. However, it may require further education and training to gain the necessary skills and experience in the new field.