Compressible vs. incompressible substance

In summary, the compressibility of a material depends on its state and can vary between gases, liquids, and solids. In classical thermodynamics, gases and liquids are considered compressible while solids are typically assumed to be incompressible. However, in fluid mechanics, liquids are often treated as incompressible due to the small changes in volume with pressure. Ultimately, the degree of compressibility varies and can even be affected by extreme conditions such as a black hole.
gkiverm
I'm confused about which phases are considered compressible and which are considered non-compressible.

In classical thermodynamics, gases and liquids are considered compressible. This is what the state principle (2 independent properties define all other properties) applies to gases and liquids. Am I correct in assuming solids are incompressible and thus the state principle doesn't apply to solids? Because we never study solids in my classical thermodynamics class.

In fluid mechanics, we often treat liquid as incompressible. For this reason, we usually assume the density of the fluid doesn't change as the pressure changes.

Can someone clear this up for me. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially everything is compressible to some level when considering gases, liquids, and solids. The only questionis how compressible. In many cases volume will change very little with pressure and approximating with the material being incompressible is not a bad idea.

Its all relative. A black hole will compress anything (we think).

Related to Compressible vs. incompressible substance

1. What is the difference between a compressible and incompressible substance?

A compressible substance is a material that can be compressed or squeezed, causing its volume to decrease. In contrast, an incompressible substance cannot be compressed and maintains a constant volume even under pressure.

2. What are some examples of compressible substances?

Some examples of compressible substances include gases like air and steam, as well as some liquids like oil.

3. Are all gases compressible?

No, not all gases are compressible. Some gases, such as helium and neon, are considered to be nearly incompressible because they have very low compressibility values.

4. Why do compressible substances change in volume when compressed?

Compressible substances change in volume when compressed because the molecules in these substances are not held together tightly, so they can be pushed closer together, decreasing the overall volume.

5. How is the compressibility of a substance measured?

The compressibility of a substance is typically measured using a parameter called the coefficient of compressibility, which is the ratio of the change in volume to the change in pressure.