Compressed Springs: 100N Force, 30cm Length, k=1000N/m

In summary, a man compresses a 30 cm spring against a wall with a force of 100 N. The spring has a stiffness of 1000 N/m. Using the formula Fs = -kx, where F is the applied force, s is the displacement, and k is the stiffness, the man can calculate that the spring will compress by 40 cm (0.4 m) from its resting position. This is found by solving the equation -100 = -1000(x-0.3), where x represents the displacement from the resting position. However, after some discussion and corrections, it is determined that the correct answer is actually 33 cm (0.33 m).
brake4country

Homework Statement

A man compresses a 30 cm spring against a wall. If he applies a 100 N force and the wall is rigid, by how much does he shorten the spring? (k = 1000 N/m).

Homework Equations

Fs=-kx

The Attempt at a Solution

Drew a FBD and labeled applied force of 100 N and calculated the force of the spring resisting the applied force = 30N. At this point, I do not know where to go with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the force applied is 100N, how can it be that the reaction from the spring is only 30N?

Ok. I think I figured this out I just need my work checked please. So the formula is F = -kx. So 100 = 1000(30-x) and x = 30 cm. How does this look?

brake4country said:
F = -kx. So 100 = 1000(30-x) and x = 30 cm.
I don't think you mean x=30. Also, be careful with units. Put all distances in metres.

Can I use 100 N for the F in F = -kx?

brake4country said:
Can I use 100 N for the F in F = -kx?
Yes.

If I put everything in meters, I get 40 cm. Here is my calculation:

F = -kx
-100 = -1000(x-0.3)
x = .4 m or x = 40 cm.

Did I set up the math correctly? I am not sure whether it should be x-0.3 or 0.3--x

brake4country said:
If I put everything in meters, I get 40 cm. Here is my calculation:

F = -kx
-100 = -1000(x-0.3)
x = .4 m or x = 40 cm.

Did I set up the math correctly? I am not sure whether it should be x-0.3 or 0.3--x
In the equation F = -kx, what does x represent?

Likes Chestermiller
Ok, my mistake. It should be -100 = -1000(.3x) = 33 cm. If this is correct then I understand.

brake4country said:
Ok, my mistake. It should be -100 = -1000(.3x) = 33 cm. If this is correct then I understand.
No. Please answer my question regarding what x represents in that equation.

X is the change (displacement) from its resting position.

brake4country said:
X is the change (displacement) from its resting position.
Right. You are told F and k. Calculate x.

Related to Compressed Springs: 100N Force, 30cm Length, k=1000N/m

What is the relationship between force and distance for a compressed spring?

The relationship between force and distance for a compressed spring can be described by Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied on a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is compressed. This means that as the force increases, the distance the spring is compressed also increases.

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a compressed spring?

The spring constant, represented by the letter "k", is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. A higher spring constant means that the spring is stiffer and requires more force to be compressed. In the case of a compressed spring with a spring constant of 1000N/m, a force of 100N will compress the spring to a length of 30cm.

What is the potential energy stored in a compressed spring?

The potential energy stored in a compressed spring can be calculated using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. In this case, the potential energy stored in a compressed spring with a force of 100N and a length of 30cm would be 450J.

How does the distance a spring is compressed affect the potential energy stored?

The distance a spring is compressed is directly proportional to the potential energy stored. This means that as the distance of compression increases, the potential energy stored also increases. Using the formula PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, we can see that the potential energy stored is dependent on the square of the distance the spring is compressed.

What happens to the compressed spring when the force is removed?

When the force is removed from a compressed spring, the spring will return to its original length due to its elastic properties. This is known as elastic potential energy, where the potential energy stored in the compressed spring is converted back to kinetic energy as the spring returns to its original state.