Compress a very hot plasma, change in electromagnetic energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the transfer of energy in a plasma that is compressed by a small volume. The energy is divided between heating the plasma and heating the photon gas. The concept of electrostatic and magnetic energy of the compressed plasma is also brought up and there is confusion about their changes during compression. The topic of black body radiation at the same temperature as the plasma is also mentioned.
Spinnor
Gold Member
Say I have a volume of hydrogen gas that is raised to a temperature T so that 99.9 percent of the gas is ionized. If now, with the plasma at some pressure P, the volume is compressed a small volume dV such that no energy leaves the volume I'm curious of a total accounting of where the energy PdV goes.

Some energy goes into heating the plasma and some energy goes into "heating" the photon gas?

This is not a statics problem but is there an average total electrostatic energy that can be computed and does it change during compression? The electrostatic energy of a compressed neutral plasma confuses me.

What about the magnetic energy of the moving charges, their average speed increases but the volume decreases so does the total magnetic energy change?

I may be mixing classical and quantum, any clarifications welcome.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What "photon gas" are you referring to?

Drakkith said:
What "photon gas" are you referring to?

I assumed that if we have a plasma at equilibrium temperature T there would also be black body radiation at the same temperature T that coexisted with the plasma?

Related to Compress a very hot plasma, change in electromagnetic energy?

1. What is a very hot plasma?

A plasma is a state of matter in which atoms have been stripped of their electrons, resulting in a collection of positively charged ions and negatively charged electrons. A very hot plasma is one that has been heated to extremely high temperatures, often in the range of millions of degrees Celsius.

2. How is a plasma compressed?

A plasma can be compressed using various methods, such as magnetic fields, lasers, or intense electric fields. These methods can be used to confine and compress the plasma, increasing its density and temperature.

3. What happens when a plasma is compressed?

When a plasma is compressed, the particles within it are brought closer together, resulting in an increase in density and temperature. This can lead to a variety of physical and chemical changes, such as fusion reactions and the production of high-energy particles.

4. How does compressing a plasma affect electromagnetic energy?

Compressing a plasma can greatly increase the amount of electromagnetic energy present in the system. This is because the particles within the plasma are forced closer together, resulting in a higher concentration of charged particles and stronger electric and magnetic fields.

5. What are the potential applications of compressing a very hot plasma?

Compressing a very hot plasma has many potential applications, including controlled fusion reactions for energy production, plasma-based propulsion systems for space travel, and creating high-energy particle beams for medical and industrial use.