Compound Interest Formula and Natural Logarithms

In summary, to solve the compound interest formula for t using natural logarithms, you first divide both sides by P and then take the natural log of both sides. Then, you isolate t by dividing by ln(A/P) and then by t, resulting in t = n*ln(1+r/n)/ln(A/P). However, in the attempt at a solution, a simple algebraic mistake was made in the step where t was isolated, which was corrected with the help of a reply.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

Solve the compound interest formula for t by using natural logarithms.

Homework Equations

[tex]A=P(1+\frac{r}{n})^{nt}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I start by dividing both sides by P.
I then take the natural log of both sides and end up with

[tex]ln(\frac{A}{P})=nt * ln(1+\frac{r}{n})[/tex]

I isolate t to one side by first dividing by [tex]ln(\frac{A}{P})[/tex] then by t.

I end up with [tex]t=\frac{n*ln(1+\frac{r}{n})}{ln(\frac{A}{P})}[/tex]

I don't believe this is the correct answer. I can't seem to see which step I overlooked at the moment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a simple algebraic mistake in the step where you solve for t. You need to divide by n*ln(1+r/n).

Of course. I knew I missed something simple. Thanks for the reply.

Related to Compound Interest Formula and Natural Logarithms

1. What is the compound interest formula?

The compound interest formula is used to calculate the interest earned on a principal amount over a certain period of time, with interest being added to the principal amount at regular intervals.

2. What are the components of the compound interest formula?

The components of the compound interest formula are: principal amount, interest rate, number of compounding periods, and time.

3. How do natural logarithms play a role in the compound interest formula?

Natural logarithms are used in the compound interest formula to calculate the number of compounding periods. It is represented by the letter "e" and helps to determine the continuous growth rate of the interest.

4. What is the difference between simple interest and compound interest?

Simple interest is calculated only on the principal amount, while compound interest is calculated on the principal amount plus any accumulated interest. This means that compound interest will result in a higher overall return on investment over time.

5. How can the compound interest formula be used in real-life situations?

The compound interest formula is commonly used in banking and finance to calculate the interest earned on investments, loans, and savings accounts. It can also be used to determine the growth of populations, bacteria, and other natural phenomena.