Compound Hydrolization with Water and Acid

• Thread starter Superkevs22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Water
In summary, the conversation is about a chemistry question involving the hydrolysis of a liquid to produce an acid and alcohol, and the subsequent oxidation of the alcohol to produce the acid. The question is asking for the formula of the original compound and the answer provided is Choice A, which is highlighted in yellow. The reason for this is because when alcohol B is oxidized, it produces the exact same acid A, indicating that both compounds have the same number of carbon atoms. This eliminates Choices B and C as possible answers. Choice D is also not the answer because it does not have a carbonyl group, which is present in both the original compound and the products.
Superkevs22
Hi guys, I have a chemistry question which has been disturbing me. :cry: Please help me, it goes like this.

A liquid, C6H12O2, was hydrolyzed with water and acid to give an acid A and an alcohol B. Oxidation of B with chromic acid produced A. The formula of the original compound is?

I will attach the image for the choices since I have no idea how to turn the following compounds in a linear equation :frown: Choice A which is highlighted in yellow was the answer provided.

http://imgur.com/iBtgRFI

Could you please explain why the Choice A is the answer because I'm quite confused thinking that Choices A, B, and C are all possible answers because there is a carbonyl group. If you may also please include why choice D is not the answer? Help will be appreciated. :cry:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When alcohol B is oxidized it produces the acid A. What does it tell you about number of carbon atoms in both compounds?

I see! I get it now! That must mean that if alcohol B oxidation yields exactly acid A they should have the same amount of carbons coming from the original compound which has equal amounts of carbon before and after the carbonyl group, is that correct sir?

Don't sir me, or I will ban you.

Other than that, you are right.

Thanks Admin!

Related to Compound Hydrolization with Water and Acid

What is compound hydrolysis?

Compound hydrolysis is a chemical reaction in which a compound is broken down into smaller molecules or ions by the addition of water and an acid. This process can be used to produce new substances or to break down larger molecules into smaller, more manageable ones.

What is the purpose of using water and acid in compound hydrolysis?

The addition of water and acid in compound hydrolysis is necessary because they act as catalysts to speed up the reaction. Water provides the necessary medium for the reaction to occur, while acid helps to break down the bonds between the molecules, making them more reactive.

What types of compounds can undergo hydrolysis with water and acid?

Many different types of compounds can undergo hydrolysis with water and acid, including salts, esters, and amides. It is a common reaction in organic chemistry and is used to break down various organic compounds.

What are the products of compound hydrolysis with water and acid?

The products of compound hydrolysis vary depending on the specific compound being reacted. Generally, the products will be smaller molecules or ions that are the result of breaking down the original compound. For example, a salt may produce an acid and a base as products.

What factors can affect the rate of compound hydrolysis with water and acid?

Several factors can affect the rate of compound hydrolysis with water and acid, including temperature, concentration of the reactants, and the presence of catalysts. Higher temperatures and higher concentrations of reactants will generally result in a faster reaction, while the addition of a catalyst can significantly increase the rate of hydrolysis.