Composition of two equivalence relations

In summary, the question is whether the composition of two equivalence relations, E1 and E2, is also an equivalence relation. To prove this, we must show that the composition relation R is reflexive, symmetric, and transitive. A relation on a non-empty set X is defined as xRy if there exists a z∈X such that xE1 z and zE2 y. We can prove R is reflexive by showing that E1 = E1. For the other two properties, we would need to write out the specific conditions that must be satisfied for R to be symmetric and transitive in terms of E1oE2.
jasper29

Homework Statement

The question is let E1 and E2 be equivalence relations on set X. A new relation R is defined as the E1 o E2, the composition of the two relations. We must prove or disprove that R is an equivalence relation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we must prove
1) reflexive - this is easy just E1 = E1
2) symmetric
3)transitive

but I am unsure of how to prove the last two.
Thanks for any help in advance and if you need more information I will try to provide.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm unfamiliar with the concept of composition of equivalence relations. Does it mean that if xE1y and yE2z then xE1oE2z?

Let E1 and E2 be equivalence relations on a non-empty set X. Define a new relationRonXbyxRyifthereexistsaz∈XsuchthatxE1 zandzE2 y. TherelationR is often denoted as E1 ◦ E2 and is called the composition of the relations E1 and E2. Prove or disprove: R is an equivalence relation on X, which in words is that the composition of equivalence relations is an equivalence relation.

This is the rest of the information

jasper29 said:
Let E1 and E2 be equivalence relations on a non-empty set X. Define a new relation R on X by xRy if there exists a z∈X such that xE1 z and zE2 y.
OK, that's what I guessed.
1) reflexive - this is easy just E1 = E1
I don't understand your proof there. What do you mean by 'E1=E1'? It's not the equivalence of equivalence relations that's at issue.
2) symmetric
3)transitive
Write those last two out in terms of what you would need to prove re E1oE2.

Related to Composition of two equivalence relations

1. What is the definition of "composition of two equivalence relations"?

The composition of two equivalence relations is a mathematical operation that combines two existing equivalence relations to form a new equivalence relation. It involves checking if two elements from the first relation are related to each other, and if they are, then checking if the same two elements are related in the second relation as well.

2. How is the composition of two equivalence relations represented mathematically?

The composition of two equivalence relations, R and S, is represented as R ∘ S, read as "R composed with S". This is a new relation that is formed by linking elements from R and S together.

3. Can the composition of two equivalence relations be commutative?

No, the composition of two equivalence relations is not commutative. This means that the order in which the two relations are composed matters. In other words, R ∘ S is not always equal to S ∘ R.

4. What is the significance of the composition of two equivalence relations?

The composition of two equivalence relations is useful in mathematics and computer science as it allows us to create new relations by combining existing ones. This can help in simplifying complex problems and proving theorems.

5. Can the composition of two equivalence relations result in an equivalence relation?

Yes, the composition of two equivalence relations can result in an equivalence relation. This happens when the two original relations are compatible with each other, meaning that they have similar properties. In this case, the resulting relation will also have these properties and will be an equivalence relation.