Composition of fuel, AFR , & of air

In summary, the conversation is discussing the composition of a gas mixture containing hydrocarbons and other gases such as CO2, CO, O2, and N2. The questions are about determining the composition of the fuel, the air fuel ratio, and the percentage of excess air used. The conversation also includes a typo correction and a mention of the expected presence of water in the gas mixture.
zainulariffin

Homework Statement

hi guys, i have problem regarding this matters.

Products : hydrocarbon

if i have this :

CO2 - 80%
CO - 0.9%
O2 - 8.8%
N2 - 82.3%

1) how to determine the composition of the fuel?

2) the air fuel ratio?
known , the air fuel ratio is : mass of air / mass of fuel

how can i get the mass base on the given data?

3) the percentage of excess air used.

please help advice to settle this problem.

regards,

zainul

Physics news on Phys.org
zainulariffin said:

Homework Statement

hi guys, i have problem regarding this matters.

if i have this :

CO2 - 80%
CO - 0.9%
O2 - 8.8%
N2 - 82.3%

1) how to determine the composition of the fuel?

2) the air fuel ratio?
known , the air fuel ratio is : mass of air / mass of fuel

how can i get the mass base on the given data?

3) the percentage of excess air used.

please help advice to settle this problem.

regards,

zainul

So you have a gas mixture composed of 80% CO2 and 82.3% N2?

Nonsense! Think about it some more and get back to us...

sorry, typo error..

CO2 - 8.0%

zainulariffin said:

if i have this :

CO2 - 80%
CO - 0.9%
O2 - 8.8%
N2 - 82.3%

No idea what the question is. Please don't ignore homework template - it requires you to post the question verbatim, not just some subset of the information.

You mentioned hydrocarbon, so regardless of what the gas mentioned is I would expect it to contain water - but it is not listed.

I would suggest starting by reviewing the basic principles of combustion and fuel composition. In order to determine the composition of the fuel, you will need to know the type of hydrocarbon present and its molar mass. From there, you can calculate the mass of each component in the fuel based on the given percentages. It may also be helpful to consider the ideal gas law and the concept of stoichiometry.

To determine the air fuel ratio, you can use the given formula of mass of air / mass of fuel. Again, you will need to know the molar mass of the hydrocarbon in order to calculate the mass of fuel.

As for the percentage of excess air used, this will depend on the desired combustion efficiency. Generally, a certain amount of excess air is needed for complete combustion, but too much excess air can reduce the efficiency of the process. You can calculate the percentage of excess air by comparing the actual air fuel ratio to the ideal air fuel ratio for complete combustion.

In order to accurately determine these values, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or refer to a textbook or online resources. Additionally, performing experiments or simulations can provide more precise data for calculation. I hope this helps and good luck with your homework!

Related to Composition of fuel, AFR , & of air

1. What is the composition of fuel?

The composition of fuel refers to the specific elements and compounds that make up a particular type of fuel. This can vary depending on the source of the fuel, but common elements found in fuel include carbon, hydrogen, sulfur, and nitrogen. The composition of fuel can also be affected by additives and impurities.

2. What does AFR stand for?

AFR stands for "air-fuel ratio." This is a measure of the ratio of air to fuel in an internal combustion engine. It is an important factor in determining the efficiency and performance of the engine, as well as the emissions it produces.

3. How is the AFR determined?

The AFR is typically determined by measuring the mass or volume of air and fuel that enters the engine. This can be done using various sensors and components, such as oxygen sensors and mass airflow sensors. The AFR can also be adjusted manually using a fuel injector or carburetor.

4. What is the role of air in fuel combustion?

Air plays a crucial role in the combustion process of fuel. It provides the necessary oxygen for the fuel to burn, releasing energy in the form of heat. The amount of air present in the combustion chamber, along with the AFR, can greatly impact the efficiency and emissions of the engine.

5. How does the composition of air affect fuel combustion?

The composition of air, specifically the amount of oxygen present, can greatly affect the combustion of fuel. If there is not enough oxygen, the fuel will not be able to burn completely, resulting in inefficient combustion and increased emissions. On the other hand, too much oxygen can also negatively impact combustion and lead to wasted fuel. Therefore, maintaining the proper balance of air and fuel is crucial for optimal engine performance.