Component of magnetic flux density - huh?

In summary, the magnetic force on a wire placed at an angle in a magnetic field is determined by the current, length of the wire, magnetic flux density, and the sine of the angle between the wire and the magnetic field. The component of the magnetic flux density perpendicular to the wire is used to calculate the induced EMF, which is determined by the number of magnetic flux lines passing through a unit area.
allok
hiya

If 'b' is the length of a wire, and 'I' current running trough it, then if put a wire inside magnetic field ( not perpendicullary and also not parallel to magnetic field lines, but some angle in between the two ), then magnetic force on a wire will be:

F = I * b * B * sin[angle]

where

I ... current
B ... magnetic flux density

B * sin[angle] gives us component of magnetic flux density perpendicular to current in a wire. I'd understand if we were talking about component of velocity or component of force, but how can we talk about component of density? It just doesn't make sense.thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
It's the component of flux density, kind of like a wind density for propellers or something. The flux density tells you how much flux is passing through an area, which you use to calculate the induced EMF.

It makes sense if we are talking about component of velocity of force, but it doesn't make sense that density would also have a component. Density is just density, and by my ( flawed ) logic it can't have a direction. Can someone reason with my how a density can have a component?

Related to Component of magnetic flux density - huh?

What is a component of magnetic flux density?

A component of magnetic flux density is a vector quantity that represents the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific point in space.

How is a component of magnetic flux density measured?

A component of magnetic flux density is typically measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G) using a magnetometer.

What factors affect the magnitude of a component of magnetic flux density?

The magnitude of a component of magnetic flux density is affected by the strength of the magnetic field source, the distance from the source, and the orientation of the source relative to the point of measurement.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength?

Magnetic flux density and magnetic field strength are closely related, with magnetic flux density being the amount of magnetic flux per unit area, and magnetic field strength being the force exerted on a charged particle moving through the magnetic field.

How does a component of magnetic flux density impact magnetic materials?

A component of magnetic flux density can affect the behavior of magnetic materials, such as how easily they can be magnetized or demagnetized, as well as their magnetic properties and characteristics, such as permeability and coercivity.