Complex Variable Basic Proof by Induction (I'm lost.)

In summary: Now, use the induction hypothesis on the first part. That will give you \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \overline{z_n}+ \overline{z_{n+1}} which is exactly what you need to be equal to \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \overline{z_n}+ \overline{z_{n+1}}.In summary, the problem asks to use mathematical induction to prove that when n = 2,3,..., the complex conjugate of the sum of n complex numbers is equal
DEMJ

Homework Statement

Use mathematical induction to show that when n = 2,3,...,

[tex]\overline{z_1+z_2+\cdots +z_n} = \bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2} + \cdots + \bar{z_n}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\overline{z_1 + z_2} = \bar{z_1} + \bar{z_2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So help me get started on the first step because I am new to induction. The only proofs I've done/seen (not many) were proved for each [tex]n \in N[/tex]. With that said how do I even start by showing that P(1) holds because the n = 2, 3, ... is throwing me off because 1 is not in there. Does it mean show for all numbers starting from 2? So should I be proving P(2) holds in the first step? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, Prove that it is true for n=2 as a first step, then assume for n and then using that prove that it is also true for n+1

So to show P(2) holds:

[tex]P(2) = \bar{2} = \bar{2}[/tex]

this seems goofy. So should it be this way instead?

LHS = [tex]\overline{2+3} = \bar{5}[/tex]

RHS = [tex]\bar{2}+\bar{3} = \bar{5}[/tex]

Then [tex]\bar{5} = \bar{5}[/tex]. So P(2) is true.

In this case the inductive variable n is referring to the indeces of the terms, not the values of the terms. So P(2) is the statement

[tex]\overline{(z_1+z_2)} = \overline{z_1} + \overline{z_2}[/tex]

while P(3) is

[tex]\overline{(z_1+z_2+z_3)}=\overline{z_1} + \overline{z_2} + \overline{z_3}.[/tex]

(Side comment P(1) is trivially true since z-bar = z-bar is an identity and not useful here.)

As n increases, the number of terms increases. Assuming it works for n terms, you need to show that the complex conjugate of the sum of n + 1 terms is the sum of the individual conjugates.

--Elucidus

Thank you Elucidus for clearing up most of my confusion on P(2). For the induction step 2 I think I figured it out but I'm not sure. Here's what I did let me know what you think:

Assume [tex]p(n)[/tex] is true for n = 2, 3, ...,

Show that [tex]p(n+1)[/tex] is true

LHS = [tex]\overline{z_1 + z_2 + ... + z_n + z_{n+1}} = \overline{(x_n + iy_n) + (x_{n+1} + iy_{n+1})} = (x_n-iy_n) + (x_{n+1} - iy_{n+1}) = \overline{z_n} + \overline{z_{n+1}}[/tex] = RHS

DEMJ said:
Thank you Elucidus for clearing up most of my confusion on P(2). For the induction step 2 I think I figured it out but I'm not sure. Here's what I did let me know what you think:

Assume [tex]p(n)[/tex] is true for n = 2, 3, ...,

Show that [tex]p(n+1)[/tex] is true

LHS = [tex]\overline{z_1 + z_2 + ... + z_n + z_{n+1}} = \overline{(x_n + iy_n) + (x_{n+1} + iy_{n+1})} = (x_n-iy_n) + (x_{n+1} - iy_{n+1}) = \overline{z_n} + \overline{z_{n+1}}[/tex] = RHS
No, don't switch to "x+ iy" now. You know (induction hypothesis) that [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n}= \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ \overline{z_n}[/itex] and now you want to extend that to [itex]z_{n+1}[/itex]. Okay, think of [itex]z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n+ z_{n+1}[/itex] as the sum of two numbers: [itex](z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n)[/itex] and [itex]z_{n+1}[/itex].

Since you know that for two numbers, [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2}= \overline{z_1}+ \overline{z_2}[/itex], you know that [itex]\overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n+ z_{n+1}}= \overline{z_1+ z_2+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ z_n}+ \overline{z_{n+1}}[/itex].

Related to Complex Variable Basic Proof by Induction (I'm lost.)

1. What is a complex variable?

A complex variable is a variable that can take on values from the set of complex numbers, which are numbers with real and imaginary parts. In mathematics, complex variables are used to represent and manipulate quantities that involve both real and imaginary components.

2. What is basic proof by induction?

Basic proof by induction is a method used in mathematics to prove that a statement holds true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement is true for the first natural number, and then showing that if it is true for any given natural number, it is also true for the next natural number.

3. How is basic proof by induction used in complex variables?

In complex variables, basic proof by induction is used to prove statements that involve complex numbers. This can include proving algebraic identities, inequalities, or properties of complex functions.

4. What is the process for using basic proof by induction in complex variables?

The process for using basic proof by induction in complex variables involves first stating the statement to be proven, then proving it for the first natural number, and finally showing that if it is true for any given natural number, it is also true for the next natural number. This process is repeated until it is proven to be true for all natural numbers.

5. Are there any tips for understanding and successfully using basic proof by induction in complex variables?

Some tips for understanding and successfully using basic proof by induction in complex variables include carefully stating the statement to be proven, using clear and concise mathematical notation, understanding the properties of complex numbers, and practicing with simpler examples before tackling more complex ones. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a mentor or consult other resources for further explanations and examples.