Complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters.

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for calculating complex phase changes induced by a series of Stern-Gerlach filters applied to a beam of spin-1/2 fermions. It involves using projection operators and considering the path on a sphere defined by the orientation vectors of the filters. The conversation also mentions the relationship between phase angles and areas, and compares the method to Feynman's approach in his book "Quantum Mechanics".
CarlB
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I found an interesting way of calculating the complex phase changes induced by a series of Stern-Gerlach filters applied to a beam of spin-1/2 fermions. It's obvious enough that I'm sure someone else has seen it before, and I was hoping someone would give me a reference.

A Stern-Gerlach filter allows passage of only a single spin state, for example, it may allow only spin+1/2 in the +z direction. Applied to spin-1/2 fermions, the appropriate operator for a Stern-Gerlach filter oriented in the u direction is:

[tex]P_u = \frac{1+\vec{u}\cdot\vec{\sigma}}{2}[/tex]

where [tex]\vec{\sigma}[/tex] is the usual vector of Pauli spin matrices.

Consider a series of Stern-Gerlach filters that begin and end with filters with the same orientation. Such a sequence is equivalent to the projection operator for the end filter multiplied by a complex constant. For example, if the sequence consists of four filters oriented in the +z,+y,+x,+z directions (in that order), the operator for the product is:

[tex]P_z P_x P_y P_z =
\frac{1}{4}
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&1\\1&1\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&-i\\i&1\end{array}\right)
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]
[tex]= \frac{1+i}{4}
\left(\begin{array}{cc}1&0\\0&0\end{array}\right) = \frac{1+i}{4}P_z[/tex]

In the above case, the complex constant is [tex](1+i)/4[/tex], which corresponds to a phase angle of [tex]\pi/4[/tex], and this is the subject of this note.

The orientation vectors in the sequence of Stern-Gerlach filters define a path on a sphere. The vectors themselves define corners in the path. To get from one corner to another, the path travels on the shortest side of the great-circle (straight) paths. Note that the great circles are defined except when two consecutive corners are on exact opposite sides of the sphere, but the product of two projection operators oriented on opposite sides of the sphere is zero: [tex]P_uP_{-u}=0[/tex].

A sequence of Stern-Gerlach filters that begins and ends with the same orientation corresponds to a path on the sphere that begins and ends with the same point. If the path is simple (that is, it doesn't cross itself), then the path splits the surface of the sphere into two portions, A and B. The total area of the surface of the sphere is [tex]4 \pi[/tex], so [tex]A+B=4\pi[/tex].

Suppose a sequence of vectors on the sphere forms a simple path that defines a region of area A. The formula for the argument of the complex phase associated with such a sequence of Stern-Gerlach filters is:

[tex]\arg(P_1P_2...P_nP_1) = A/2 = (4 \pi -A)/2.[/tex]

The explicit calculation above used vectors in the directions +z,+y,+x,+z. The associated path is an octant of the sphere. The total surface area of the unit sphere is [tex]4 \pi[/tex], so an octant of it has area [tex]\pi/2[/tex]. According to the above formula, the complex phase associated with this series of Stern-Gerlach filters is [tex]\pi/4[/tex], which matches the explicit calculation.

A simple proof of this is to consider two triangular regions that adjoin. One can show that the path that goes around the two triangular regions ends up with a phase angle equal to the sum of the phase angles for the two smaller triangles. In other words, phase angles are additive in areas, and there must be a linear relation between phase angle and area. When one considers infinitesimal paths, the constant of proportionality turns out to be 1/2.

Carl

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

Your piece reminds me Feynman, Quantum Mechanics, chap III.

There, Feynman uses symmetry arguments to write down the probability amplitudes between two rotated states.
It would be interresting to see if you can get these results from your starting point.

Note, that your starting point is an "educated" starting point. Indeed, as you know very well the properties of the spin matrices, you can easily come with a projector. What has amazed me in the Feynman course is how Feynman is able to build the QM basics on so few fundamental prerequistites and coming up with so much physics.

I will watch this threat!

Friedrich von Weizsäcker, a German physicist, published a paper in 1951 titled "On the Complex Phases of Spinor Fields" which discusses similar calculations and concepts related to the complex phases induced by Stern-Gerlach filters. This paper can be found in the journal "Zeitschrift für Naturforschung A" (volume 6, pages 256-264).

Other references that may be helpful in understanding complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters include "Quantum Mechanics" by Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, Bernard Diu, and Franck Laloë, and "Quantum Mechanics for Scientists and Engineers" by David A. B. Miller. Both of these texts cover the topic in detail and provide various examples and calculations.

Overall, your approach to calculating the complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters is valid and has been explored by other scientists. Your use of geometric concepts and the relationship between phase angle and area is a valuable contribution to understanding this topic. I would suggest looking into the references mentioned above for further research and understanding.

Related to Complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters.

1. What are complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters?

Complex phases refer to the presence of imaginary numbers in the mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of particles in a Stern-Gerlach filter. This can occur when the particles have a spin component that is not aligned with the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How do complex phases affect the behavior of particles in Stern-Gerlach filters?

The presence of complex phases can cause the particles to exhibit non-classical behavior, such as interference patterns, in the filter. This is due to the fact that the imaginary component of the spin can interfere with the classical path of the particle.

3. Can complex phases be observed in experiments with Stern-Gerlach filters?

Yes, complex phases have been observed in experiments with Stern-Gerlach filters. These observations have provided evidence for the quantum mechanical nature of particles and the need for complex numbers in their description.

4. Are complex phases relevant in other areas of physics?

Yes, complex phases are relevant in many other areas of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They play a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles and systems at the quantum level.

5. How have complex phases impacted our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The discovery of complex phases in Stern-Gerlach filters has greatly advanced our understanding of quantum mechanics. It has provided evidence for the probabilistic and non-classical behavior of particles at the quantum level and has led to the development of new theories and models to explain these phenomena.