Complex numbers - polar form - does this work (indices) ?

In summary, Complex numbers - polar form - does this work (indices)?The first formula is true. While for the second, the one following "or" is false.
JPC
Complex numbers - polar form - does this work (indices) ?

hey

i haven't studied in class complex numbers yet, but i know some of the basis , and i was wondering if something i saw in complex numbers was true :

polar form :
let 'a' be the angle
and x the length (dont know how to call it in english)
: (x, a)

ok so now is this true :

-> ( (x, a) )^n = (x^n, a * n)

-> sqroot( (x, a) ) = (sqroot(x), a/2) or (sqroot(x), pi + a/2)

Physics news on Phys.org
The first formula is true. While for the second, the one following "or" is false.

dextercioby said:
The first formula is true. While for the second, the one following "or" is false.

JPC is correct. For angle a, to get nth roots, use (a+2kpi)/n for k=0,1,..,n-1.

Therefore for sqrt, need k=0,1.

ok , and now , is this true for cube root , i only checked it on xroot(3, i) yet :

polar :
xroot(3, (x, a) ) =

( xroot(3, x) , a / 3 )
or
( xroot(3, x) , pi - a/3 )
or
( xroot(3, x) , a + pi )

im especially not sure for the "( xroot(3, x) , a + pi )", because i can't really find a rule for it.
finding cube root of i :

(a+ bi)^3 = i :

a^3 - 3ab² = 0
3a²b - b^3 = 1

a ( a² - 3b²) = 0
a = 0 or a² = 3b²
a = sqroot(3) * b , or a = - sqroot(3)* b or a = 0

i replace in the second equation a² by 3b²
and find b = 1 / 2
and find a= sqroot(3) / 2

now, if a=0 , then we end up in the second equation with :
-b^3 = 1
b= -1

giving me 3 solutions :

+ sqroot(3) / 2 + 0.5i
or
- sqroot(3) / 2 + 0.5i
or
-i

polar :
xroot(3, (x, a) ) =

( xroot(3, x) , a / 3 )
or
( xroot(3, x) , pi - a/3 )
or
( xroot(3, x) , a + pi )
Your notation is very confusing:

In any case if (x,a) represents a number in polar coordinates, the three cube roots are
(y,a/3), (y,(a+2pi)/3),(y,(a+4pi)/3), where y is the cube root of x.

Oh yeah, works completely with cube root of i and others, thanks

c : an Imaginary Number)

Now maybe ill try xroot(4, c), with c = i

would it end up with 4 solutions , (do sqroot of c once, then do sqroot to each of the first sqroot answers) ?
or would there only be 2 answers ? (out of the 4 answers of that way, 2 by 2 they end up the same)

Now maybe ill try xroot(4, c), with c = i

Your notation is confusing - I have never seen anything like it. Could you explain what it means? If c is supposed to be angle, it has to be a real number.

well like square root of a number c is :
xroot(2, c)

if u have xroot(a, b) means :

...___
a \/ b

this notation is from my HP calculator

It looks like xroot(a,b) means (in standard notation) b1/a. Here b is any complex number, but the form of b has not be specified. There are two usual ways:

1) b=x+iy, where x and y are real.

2) b=r(eiz), where r is non-negative and z is an angle between 0 and 2pi.

The question I was trying to answer previously iinvolves using the second representation.

Related to Complex numbers - polar form - does this work (indices) ?

1. Can complex numbers be represented in polar form?

Yes, complex numbers can be represented in polar form using the equation z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the distance from the origin to the complex number and θ is the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number.

2. What are indices in the polar form of complex numbers?

Indices in the polar form of complex numbers denote the power to which the number is raised. For example, if a complex number is represented as z = r(cosθ + isinθ)^n, the index n indicates that the number is raised to the power of n.

3. How do we convert complex numbers from rectangular form to polar form?

To convert a complex number from rectangular form (a + bi) to polar form, we use the equations r = √(a^2 + b^2) and θ = tan^-1(b/a). These equations give us the distance from the origin and the angle formed between the positive real axis and the line connecting the origin to the complex number, respectively.

4. Is the polar form of complex numbers more useful than the rectangular form?

The usefulness of the polar form of complex numbers depends on the context in which it is being used. In some cases, the polar form may be more convenient for calculations involving powers, while in others, the rectangular form may be more useful. Both forms have their own advantages and are used in different situations.

5. How are operations performed on complex numbers in polar form?

To perform operations on complex numbers in polar form, we use the properties of trigonometric functions and the laws of exponents. For example, to multiply two complex numbers in polar form, we multiply their magnitudes and add their angles. To divide two complex numbers in polar form, we divide their magnitudes and subtract their angles.