Complex Numbers: Euler's formula problem

In summary, the conversation was about using the formula zj = xj + iyj to substitute both z's and simplifying it to obtain an answer purely in 'z'. The final answer obtained was (x1 + x2)cosθ + (y2 - y1)sinθ or, Re(z2 + z1)cosθ + Im(z2 - z1)sinθ. The person asked if there were any other identities that could be used and was unable to reduce the problem any other way. The response was that the answer looked valid.
WWCY

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2017-08-22 at 6.15.45 PM.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to use the formula zj = xj + iyj to substitute both z's. Further simplification gave me (x1 + x2)cosθ + (y2 - y1)sinθ or, Re(z2 + z1)cosθ + Im(z2 - z1)sinθ.

Is this a valid answer? Or are there any other identities I should have used to obtain an answer purely in 'z'?

I don't seem to be able to reduce the problem into Acosθ + Bcosθ any other way.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
Re(z2 + z1)cosθ + Im(z2 - z1)sinθ.
Looks good to me.

haruspex said:
Looks good to me.

Thank you!

Related to Complex Numbers: Euler's formula problem

1. What is Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is a mathematical formula that relates complex numbers to trigonometric functions. It states that e^(iθ) = cos(θ) + i*sin(θ), where e is the base of the natural logarithm, i is the imaginary unit, and θ is the angle in radians.

2. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that has both a real and an imaginary part. It is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

3. How is Euler's formula used in real life?

Euler's formula has many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve differential equations, circuit analysis, signal processing, and many other areas of science and technology.

4. Can Euler's formula be generalized for higher powers?

Yes, Euler's formula can be generalized to any power n. It is written as e^(inθ) = cos(nθ) + i*sin(nθ).

5. What is the significance of Euler's formula?

Euler's formula is significant because it provides a link between two seemingly unrelated areas of mathematics: complex numbers and trigonometry. It also allows for easier calculations and representations of complex numbers, making them more accessible and useful in various fields of science and engineering.