Complex numbers equation/equality

But those are the real and imaginary parts of ##e^{ikx}##.That's not the point. You've already taken the real and imaginary parts of the coefficients of the cosines and sines, and those are not necessarily real and imaginary.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Prove that, given constants ##A_1,A_2, \phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, there are constants ##A## and ##\phi## such that the following equality is satisfied:

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A\cos(kx+\phi)##

The attempt at a solution.

I've tried to use the identity ##\cos(u+v)=\cos(u)\cos(v)-\sin(u)\sin(v)##, so

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A_1[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_1)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_1)]+A_2[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_2)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_2)]##, and then, the expresion on the right equals to

##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)##.

I am trying to write this last expression as something of the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)## but I don't know how to, I would appreciate any suggestion to arrive to the desired expression.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Prove that, given constants ##A_1,A_2, \phi_1## and ##\phi_2##, there are constants ##A## and ##\phi## such that the following equality is satisfied:

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A\cos(kx+\phi)##

The attempt at a solution.

I've tried to use the identity ##\cos(u+v)=\cos(u)\cos(v)-\sin(u)\sin(v)##, so

##A_1\cos(kx+\phi_1)+A_2\cos(kx+\phi_2)=A_1[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_1)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_1)]+A_2[\cos(kx)\cos(\phi_2)-\sin(kx)\sin(\phi_2)]##, and then, the expresion on the right equals to

##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)##.

I am trying to write this last expression as something of the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)## but I don't know how to, I would appreciate any suggestion to arrive to the desired expression.

Here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities#Linear_combinations is the sort of identity you need expressed for real functions. Can you figure out how to derive a similar sort of thing for complex functions? You don't need to actually find the complex magnitude or the phase, you just have to show they exist. I'm actually not sure I can now, it's getting kind of late. So I'm counting on you.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Ok, here's a little more. You already have it in the form of a linear combination of ##sin(kx)## and ##cos(kx)##. Using the definitions of complex sin and cos you could equally well write that as ##C_1 e^{ikz}+C_2 e^{-ikz}##. Now let's introduce a complex phase ##\phi##, by computing it such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##. Can you see how it goes from here?

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
Ok, here's a little more. You already have it in the form of a linear combination of ##sin(kx)## and ##cos(kx)##. Using the definitions of complex sin and cos you could equally well write that as ##C_1 e^{ikz}+C_2 e^{-ikz}##. Now let's introduce a complex phase ##\phi##, by computing it such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##. Can you see how it goes from here?

As you've said, I could express ##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)## as ##C1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}##, if I call ##k_1=A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)## and ##k_2=A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)##, then ##C_1,C_2## must satisfy ##C_1=\dfrac{k_1-ik_2}{2}## and ##C_2=\dfrac{k_1+ik_2}{2}##.

I didn't get your last suggestion, suppose I find ##\phi## such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##, and how would this help me to write the original expression in the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)##? Sorry if it is too obvious.

If you write ##A_1 \cos(kx + \phi_1) = A_1\cos\phi_1\cos kx - A_1\sin\phi_1\sin kx = P_1\cos kx + P_2\sin kx## say, and similarly for the other terms, you have to show that the result is true for any value of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##. You can do that by equating the coefficients of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##.

Or, if you use ##e^{ikx} = \cos kx + i\sin kx##, this is the same as equating both the real and imaginary parts of ##e^{ikx}##.

mahler1 said:
As you've said, I could express ##[A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)]\cos(kx)-[A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)]\sin(kx)## as ##C1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}##, if I call ##k_1=A_1\cos(\phi_1)+A_2\cos(\phi_2)## and ##k_2=A_1\sin(\phi_1)+A_2\sin(\phi_2)##, then ##C_1,C_2## must satisfy ##C_1=\dfrac{k_1-ik_2}{2}## and ##C_2=\dfrac{k_1+ik_2}{2}##.

I didn't get your last suggestion, suppose I find ##\phi## such that ##C_1 e^{-i \phi}=C_2 e^{i \phi}##, and how would this help me to write the original expression in the form ##A\cos(kx+\phi)##? Sorry if it is too obvious.

Ok, I'll tell you what the strategy is. Given I can write the expression as ##C_1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}##. I would very much like to find a phase ##\phi## such that ##C_1e^{ikx}+C_2e^{-ikx}=De^{i(kx+\phi)}+De^{-i(kx+\phi)}##, what equation would I need to solve for ##\phi##? That actually probably would have been a better clue.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
If you write ##A_1 \cos(kx + \phi_1) = A_1\cos\phi_1\cos kx - A_1\sin\phi_1\sin kx = P_1\cos kx + P_2\sin kx## say, and similarly for the other terms, you have to show that the result is true for any value of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##. You can do that by equating the coefficients of ##\cos kx## and ##\sin kx##.

Or, if you use ##e^{ikx} = \cos kx + i\sin kx##, this is the same as equating both the real and imaginary parts of ##e^{ikx}##.

All of the coefficients here are complex. So it's not quite the same as equating real and imaginary parts. It's equating coefficients of the linearly independent functions ##e^{ikx}## and ##e^{-ikx}##.

Related to Complex numbers equation/equality

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that have both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part with i being the imaginary unit.

2. What is the difference between an equation and an equality involving complex numbers?

An equation involving complex numbers is a mathematical statement that shows the relationship between two or more complex numbers. An equality involving complex numbers is a statement that shows the equivalence of two complex numbers. In other words, an equation is a relationship while an equality is a statement of sameness.

3. How do you solve complex numbers equations?

To solve a complex numbers equation, you can use the same techniques as solving equations with real numbers. This includes using the properties of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and applying the distributive property. It is also important to remember to combine like terms and simplify the equation as much as possible.

4. Can complex numbers be graphed on a coordinate plane?

Yes, complex numbers can be graphed on a coordinate plane. The horizontal axis represents the real part of the complex number, while the vertical axis represents the imaginary part. The point where the two axes intersect is the origin, which represents the complex number 0 + 0i. This allows for a visual representation of complex numbers and their relationships.

5. How are complex numbers used in real life?

Complex numbers have many applications in various fields of science, engineering, and mathematics. They are used in electrical engineering to model and analyze circuits, in physics to describe wave phenomena, in economics to model supply and demand, and in computer graphics to create 3D images. They are also used in cryptography and signal processing. In everyday life, complex numbers are used in understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and economics.