Complex number proof about z (single or double overlined/conjugate) = z.

In summary: Many times these errors creep into problem sets as they edit the problem to make it tougher. Looking at it though I couldn't quite reconstruct what the earlier problem wanted proven.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem along with its solution are attached as TheProblemAndSolution.jpg. This post's focus is on part (iii), specifically.

Homework Equations

z (overlined) = z. (according to book)
z (double overlined) = z. (according to me)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the first two parts but, is there a typo in part (iii)? I looked at Wikipedia and I believe that part (iii) intends to say double conjugate of z = z rather than single conjugate of z = z. Am I right in believing that the book I'm using is wrong?

I would really appreciate a confirmation or denial because, I want to make sure that I am not missing something important if I just assume that the book is wrong!

Attachments

• TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    TheProblemAndSolution.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 860
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\bar{z}=z[/itex] only if z is real. [itex]\bar{\bar{z}}=z[/itex] for any z.

I can't see your jpg TheProblemAndSolution.jpg

Can you provide a link for it or upload it?

jedishrfu:
Sorry, I forgot to attach the picture.

Dick:
z = a + bi (which is complex and not solely real) in the problem.

Yeah, it looks like the book is wrong for iii.

z=a + bi so zbar = a - bi zbarbar = a + bi hence zbarbar = z

s3a said:
jedishrfu:
Sorry, I forgot to attach the picture.

Dick:
z = a + bi (which is complex and not solely real) in the problem.

By z is real, I just mean b=0 in z=a+bi.

Sorry for the triple post.

Look two posts down.

Sorry for the triple post.

Look one post down.

Okay so, what the book most likely wanted to ask was: "Prove that z = z (double overlined)."?

[Technically, I believe the term "bar" is incorrect since, looking at h-bar (Planck's constant divided by (2*pi)), I believe that the bar is always through the letter and not above it.]

Edit:
Dick:
Yes, I know. :)

s3a said:
Okay so, what the book most likely wanted to ask was: "Prove that z = z (double overlined)."?

[Technically, I believe the term "bar" is incorrect since, looking at h-bar (Planck's constant divided by (2*pi)), I believe that the bar is always through the letter and not above it.]

Edit:
Dick:
Yes, I know. :)

Yes, I think the book wants you to prove [itex]\bar{\bar{z}}=z[/itex]. It's just a typo. And lots of people say 'bar' when they see the symbol. The pronunciation is not that formalized.

Dick said:
Yes, I think the book wants you to prove [itex]\bar{\bar{z}}=z[/itex]. It's just a typo. And lots of people say 'bar' when they see the symbol. The pronunciation is not that formalized.

Yes, it was named in honor of Bar Rafaeli:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bar_Refaeli

Wait, is that a joke or something?

I ask because that woman is pretty young and I'm not sure but, wasn't that notation available to physicists that lived before she was born?

Edit:
Also, about the main focus of this thread.: Thank you both. :)

s3a said:
Wait, is that a joke or something?

I ask because that woman is pretty young and I'm not sure but, wasn't that notation available to physicists that lived before she was born?

Edit:
Also, about the main focus of this thread.: Thank you both. :)

Sure, joke. You're welcome!

I was staring at the proof in your attachment, maybe I'm just dumb at the moment but it really looks like an (incomprehensible) proof for [itex]\overline{z} = z[/itex] ... it's not like the just made a typo with the bars.

CompuChip said:
I was staring at the proof in your attachment, maybe I'm just dumb at the moment but it really looks like an (incomprehensible) proof for [itex]\overline{z} = z[/itex] ... it's not like the just made a typo with the bars.

You're right. I didn't even look at the 'proof'. Pretty incoherent. I'm sure s3a will do better.

Dick said:
You're right. I didn't even look at the 'proof'. Pretty incoherent. I'm sure s3a will do better.

Many times these errors creep into problem sets as they edit the problem to make it tougher. Looking at it though I couldn't quite reconstruct what the earlier problem wanted proven. It may have been given z= zbar to demonstrate b=0.

Related to Complex number proof about z (single or double overlined/conjugate) = z.

1. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. What does it mean for a complex number to be conjugate?

The conjugate of a complex number is a number with the same real part but an opposite imaginary part. For example, the conjugate of z = a + bi is z̅ = a - bi.

3. How do you prove that z = z̅ for any complex number?

To prove that z = z̅, we can use the definition of the conjugate and the properties of complex numbers. We can show that the real parts and imaginary parts of z and z̅ are equal, which means they are the same number.

4. Can you give an example of a complex number where z = z̅?

Yes, for example, z = 3 + 2i, then z̅ = 3 - 2i. When we add these two complex numbers, we get 6, which is the real part of z. When we subtract them, we get 4i, which is the imaginary part of z. Therefore, z = z̅ = 3 + 2i.

5. Why is proving z = z̅ important in complex analysis?

Proving z = z̅ is important in complex analysis because it allows us to simplify complex equations and make them easier to work with. It also helps us understand the properties and behavior of complex numbers, which have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering.