Complex Matrices and Unit Circles

In summary, the sum of a complex number and its conjugate is real, the conjugate of a number on the unit circle lies on the unit circle, the product of two numbers on the unit circle also lies on the unit circle, and de Moivre's theorem can be used to find the vector sum of two numbers.
tatianaiistb

Homework Statement

What can you say about
a. the sum of a complex number and its conjugate?
b. the conjugate of anumber on the unit circle?
c. the product of two numbers on the unit circle?
d. the sum of two numbers on the unit circle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I'm thinking:
a. The sum of a complex number and its conjugate is real: (a+bi)+(a-bi)=2a
b. The conjugate of a number on the unit circle LIES ON the unit circle.
c. The product of two numbers on the unit circle also LIES ON the unit circle.
d. The sum of two numbers on the unit circle LIES INSIDE OR OUTSIDE the unit circle.

Am I thinking correctly or am I missing something? I'm unsure on this one. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
tatianaiistb said:

Homework Statement

What can you say about
a. the sum of a complex number and its conjugate?
b. the conjugate of anumber on the unit circle?
c. the product of two numbers on the unit circle?
d. the sum of two numbers on the unit circle?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I'm thinking:
a. The sum of a complex number and its conjugate is real: (a+bi)+(a-bi)=2a
b. The conjugate of a number on the unit circle LIES ON the unit circle.
c. The product of two numbers on the unit circle also LIES ON the unit circle.
d. The sum of two numbers on the unit circle LIES INSIDE OR OUTSIDE the unit circle.

Am I thinking correctly or am I missing something? I'm unsure on this one. Thanks!
I don't see anything wrong with what you've said, but they might be looking for more than you've said.

For a) Yes, the sum is real, but notice what you have in your formula.
For b) is it possible to say where on the unit circle the conjugate would be? Let z = √2/2 + i√2/2, which is on the unit circle. Where is [itex]\overline{z}[/itex]?
For c), if z1 and z2 are on the unit circle, what can you say about z1z2?
For d), same question, but about z1 + z2.

The key is to think geometrically - draw some pictures.

what about 1 and -1/2 + i√3/2?

Hmmm... I drew some pictures as suggested... I'm still unsure, but here's another attempt:

a) I forgot to mention that the sum is real and is twice the real part
b) 90 degree reflection about the origin (for it's imaginary part)?
For parts c and, after I drew the pictures, I still cannot see it. Are there any particular numbers I should be looking at that are easier to see? Thanks!

tatianaiistb said:
Hmmm... I drew some pictures as suggested... I'm still unsure, but here's another attempt:

a) I forgot to mention that the sum is real and is twice the real part
b) 90 degree reflection about the origin (for it's imaginary part)?
For parts c and, after I drew the pictures, I still cannot see it. Are there any particular numbers I should be looking at that are easier to see? Thanks!

a) yes
b) what does "a reflection about the origin" even mean? reflections usually involve a line, or a plane, or some higher-dimensional-thingy
c) my advice: google "de moivre's theorem"
d) do you know how to draw a vector sum?

for part b, is it sufficient to say 90 deg reflection about the Imaginary axis?

I'll follow your advice and google "de moivre's theorem"

For part d, I haven't done that in a long time, so I'll also have to look it up

thanks

degrees normally have to do with rotation (they "twist" or "turn"). think "mirror-like" when thinking about reflections.

to draw a vector sum, make a parallelogram (2 sides of this will be your 2 vectors starting at the origin, the other two sides will be the same two vectors drawn "head to tail"), and draw the diagonal, which represents the vector sum.

Another try:

For part b, it'd be a reflection about the real axis?

For part c, the product of two numbers on the unit circle will still have length 1 and will be located at the sum of their angles? e.g., (0+i)(1+0i) = i, where 0+i is located 90deg and 1+0i at 0 deg, so the product will be at 90 deg.

For part d, their sum will still have length 1?

For part d, I'm thinking it should be still length 1 half way between the two numbers...

tatianaiistb said:
Another try:

For part b, it'd be a reflection about the real axis?
Yes, and I think this is what they had in mind.
tatianaiistb said:
For part c, the product of two numbers on the unit circle will still have length 1 and will be located at the sum of their angles? e.g., (0+i)(1+0i) = i, where 0+i is located 90deg and 1+0i at 0 deg, so the product will be at 90 deg.
Yes. This is more like what they're looking for, IMO.
tatianaiistb said:
For part d, their sum will still have length 1?

tatianaiistb said:
For part d, I'm thinking it should be still length 1 half way between the two numbers...
Yes.

Thank you for your help!

Related to Complex Matrices and Unit Circles

1. What is a complex matrix?

A complex matrix is a matrix whose elements are complex numbers, meaning they have both a real and imaginary component. It can be written in the form of [a + bi], where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part.

2. What is the purpose of using complex matrices?

Complex matrices are used to represent and manipulate data that has both magnitude and direction, such as in electrical engineering, quantum mechanics, and other fields of science. They are also used in solving systems of differential equations and in other mathematical operations.

3. What is a unit circle in complex matrices?

A unit circle in complex matrices is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin of the complex plane. It is used to represent the complex numbers with magnitude 1, and it helps in understanding the geometric properties of complex numbers.

4. How are complex matrices and unit circles related?

Complex matrices and unit circles are related because the unit circle is often used to visualize and understand the properties of complex matrices. The unit circle can help in finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a complex matrix, as well as in performing matrix operations such as multiplication and inversion.

5. How are complex matrices and unit circles used in real-world applications?

Complex matrices and unit circles have numerous real-world applications, including in signal processing, control systems, and image processing. They are also used in quantum mechanics to represent the state of a particle, and in electrical engineering to analyze and design circuits. Additionally, they are used in physics to study the behavior of waves and in economics to model complex systems.