Complex integral oriented counterclockwise

In summary, $\gamma$ is the unit circle oriented counterclockwise. Evaluating $\frac{\cos(z)}{z}$ and $\frac{\cos(z^2)}{z}$ will be $2\pi i$ as well and then $\frac{\sin(z)}{z}$ is 0, correct?
Dustinsfl
$\gamma$ is the unit circle oriented counterclockwise.

$\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\dfrac{e^z}{z}dz$

$\gamma(t) = e^{it}$ for $0\leq t\leq 2\pi$

$\gamma'(t) = ie^{it}$

Using $\int_{\gamma} f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt$, I obtain

$\displaystyle i\int_0^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}dt$

Not quite sure how to integrate this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Better use the Cauchy Integral Formula, then $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\dfrac{e^z}{z}dz=2\pi i e^0=2\pi i$

Fernando Revilla said:
Better use the Cauchy Integral Formula, then $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\dfrac{e^z}{z}dz=2\pi i e^0=2\pi i$

Evaluating $\frac{\cos(z)}{z}$ and $\frac{\cos(z^2)}{z}$ will be $2\pi i$ as well and then $\frac{\sin(z)}{z}$ is 0, correct?

dwsmith said:
Evaluating $\frac{\cos(z)}{z}$ and $\frac{\cos(z^2)}{z}$ will be $2\pi i$ as well and then $\frac{\sin(z)}{z}$ is 0, correct?

Yes, that''s correct.

In you expand each function in a Laurent series about zero (since that's where a singularity exists for each function), the only term that will contribute anything is the $ \displaystyle \frac{1}{z}$ term. Specifically it will contribute $2 \pi i$ times its coefficient.

$\displaystyle \frac{\cos \ z}{z} = \frac{1}{z} \left( 1 - \frac{z^{2}}{2!} + \frac{z^{4}}{4!} + \ldots \right) = {\bf \frac{1}{z}} - \frac{z}{2!} + \frac{z^{3}}{4!} + \ldots $

$ \displaystyle \frac{\cos \ z^{2}}{z} = \frac{1}{z} \left( 1 - \frac{z^{4}}{2!} + \frac{z^{8}}{4!} + \ldots \right) = {\bf \frac{1}{z}} - \frac{z^{3}}{2!} + \frac{z^{7}}{4!} + \ldots$

$\displaystyle \frac{\sin z}{z} = \frac{1}{z} \left( z - \frac{z^{3}}{3!} + \frac{z^{5}}{5!} + \ldots \right) = 1 - \frac{z^{2}}{3!} + \frac{z^{4}}{5!} + \ldots $

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
$\gamma$ is the unit circle oriented counterclockwise.

$\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\dfrac{e^z}{z}dz$

$\gamma(t) = e^{it}$ for $0\leq t\leq 2\pi$

$\gamma'(t) = ie^{it}$

Using $\int_{\gamma} f(\gamma(t))\gamma'(t)dt$, I obtain

$\displaystyle i\int_0^{2\pi}e^{e^{it}}dt$

Not quite sure how to integrate this one.

How can this be integrate without using the Cauchy Integral Formula?

$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\left(\frac{1}{z}+1+ \frac{z}{2!} +\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots\right)dz$

Now, what should be done?

Never mind I found a Theorem to use in my book that applies to the expansion.

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
How can this be integrate without using the Cauchy Integral Formula?

$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\left(\frac{1}{z}+1+ \frac{z}{2!} +\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots\right)dz$

Now, what should be done?

Never mind I found a Theorem to use in my book that applies to the expansion.
$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{e^z}{z}dz = \int_{\gamma}\left(\frac{1}{z}+1+ \frac{z}{2!} +\frac{z^2}{3!}+\cdots\right)dz$

$ \displaystyle = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left( e^{-it} + 1 + \frac{e^{it}}{2!} + \frac{e^{2it}}{3!} + \ldots \right) \ i e^{it} \ dt$

$ \displaystyle = i \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left(1 + e^{it} + \frac{e^{2it}}{2!} + \frac{e^{3it}}{3!} \ldots \right) = i \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \left(1 + \cos(t) + i \sin(t) + \frac{\cos (2t)}{2!} + i\frac{\sin (2t)}{2!} + \ldots \right) $

$ \displaystyle = i \left( 2 \pi + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + \ldots \right)= 2 \pi i$

Related to Complex integral oriented counterclockwise

1. What is a complex integral oriented counterclockwise?

A complex integral oriented counterclockwise is a mathematical concept that involves integrating a complex-valued function along a specific path in the complex plane, where the direction of integration is counterclockwise.

2. How is the direction of integration determined in a complex integral oriented counterclockwise?

The direction of integration in a complex integral oriented counterclockwise is determined by the orientation of the path in the complex plane. In this case, the path must be traced counterclockwise in order for the integral to be considered a complex integral oriented counterclockwise.

3. What is the significance of integrating counterclockwise in a complex integral?

Integrating counterclockwise in a complex integral allows for the calculation of complex-valued functions that cannot be easily evaluated using traditional methods. This orientation is also necessary for certain theorems and techniques in complex analysis.

4. How is a complex integral oriented counterclockwise different from a regular integral?

The main difference between a complex integral oriented counterclockwise and a regular integral is the orientation of the path in the complex plane. In a regular integral, the direction of integration is not specified, while in a complex integral oriented counterclockwise, the path must be traced counterclockwise.

5. What are some applications of complex integrals oriented counterclockwise?

Complex integrals oriented counterclockwise have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. They are used to solve problems involving electric fields, fluid flow, and quantum mechanics, among others. They are also used in the development of new mathematical techniques and theorems.