Complex Fourier Series into a Cosine Series

In summary, Homework Equations: a. Represent f(x)=|x| in -2<x<2 with a complex Fourier series.b. Show that the complex Fourier Series can be rearranged into a cosine series.c. Take the derivative of that cosine series. What function does the resulting series represent?
Mattbringssoda

Homework Statement

a. Represent f(x)=|x| in -2<x<2 with a complex Fourier series

b. Show that the complex Fourier Series can be rearranged into a cosine series

c. Take the derivative of that cosine series. What function does the resulting series represent?
[/B]

Homework Equations

L%7D%2C%20-L%3Cx%3CL.gif

L%7Ddx.gif
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ok, so the first part seems pretty straight forward, I plugged the variables in, and due to the absolute value broke the integral up from -2 to 0 and then from 0 to -2 and added them together.

Providing I made no errors (I hope...), I get

%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%20%28%7Be%5E%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%7D%20-%20%7Be%5E%7B-in%5Cpi%7D%29%7D%5D.gif

Using Euler's, I simplify this to:

1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%5B2cos%28n%5Cpi%29%20-%20%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%202i%20sin%28n%5Cpi%29%5D.gif

which, since for each n the sin (n pi) will become 0, my assumption is the above simply becomes (...?):

gif.latex?C_n%3D%5Cfrac%7B1%7D%7Bin%5Cpi%7D%5B2cos%28n%5Cpi%29%20%5D.gif

I am completely befuddled as to how to move into part b though... I also don’t know what to do with the n’s of the summation. So far, all the cosine series I've done so far have been summed from 0 to ∞ - I don’t know what to do with the -∞ to 0 part of the summation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest that you check again your calculation of ##C_n##. The integral of ##C_n## can be simplified to
$$
C_n = \frac{1}{2L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) e^{in\pi x/L} dx = \frac{1}{2L} \int_{-L}^L f(x) \cos\frac{n\pi x}{L} dx
$$
The integral with ##i\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}## vanishes because the product ##f(x)\sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}## forms an odd function. In this regard, I would expect ##C_n## to be real for any ##n##.

Mattbringssoda said:
I don’t know what to do with the -∞ to 0 part of the summation.
Note that a summation index is just a place holder that takes on a value: $$\sum_{i=-\infty}^0 g(i) = \sum_{i=0}^{+\infty} g(-i)$$

[edit] should have used ##n## instead of ##i## to avoid confusion, sorry. I mean a sum over integer numbers

Thank you two so much for your insight! I was making a silly error when integrating the absolute value.

I'm still getting a little stuck (very stuck) on b: "Show that the complex Fourier Series can be rearranged into a cosine series"

So, for part A: Represent /x/ with a complex Fourier Series, after correcting my C_n calculations, I got the answer of:

[itex]
C_n = \frac{2 cos (n\pi ) -2}{(n\pi)^2}

[/itex]

[itex]f(x) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} C_ne^{-in\pi x /2}[/itex] , -2 < x < 2

Now, for part B, I have to rearrange this into a cosine series...I was trying to start by using Euler's identity to start:

[itex]f(x) = \sum_{-\infty}^{\infty} C_ne^{-in\pi x /2}[/itex]

[itex]= C_n [cos (\frac{n\pi x}{2})-isin(\frac{n\pi x}{2})][/itex]

...and this is as far as I get. I think (if my understanding of the material is correct) that I could make a conceptual argument as to why it can be just represented with the cosine series using some graphs that have been shown to me, but I don't know what I need to do to show it via formulas...

Thanks very much for reading and any help you can offer...

Mattbringssoda said:
...and this is as far as I get. I think (if my understanding of the material is correct) that I could make a conceptual argument as to why it can be just represented with the cosine series using some graphs that have been shown to me, but I don't know what I need to do to show it via formulas...
Except for ##n=0##, for each ##n=m##, you also have ##n=-m## in the Fourier series. You have figured out that the Fourier coefficient looks like
$$
C_n = \frac{2 \cos (n\pi ) -2}{(n\pi)^2}
$$
Now compare this coefficient for ##n=m## and ##n=-m##, how do you conclude about the relation between them? Then consider the two terms out of the series which correspond to ##n=\pm m##
$$
C_m e^{-im\pi x/L} + C_{-m} e^{im\pi x/L}
$$
Taking the relation between ##C_m## and ##C_{-m}## you have found before, how can you simplify them?

Very good you fixed your intergration issue. ##1\over n^2## sounds a lot better than ##1\over n##.
You are way overthinking things: part a asked for the complex coefficients ##C_n## in $$f(x) = \sum_{n = -\infty}^\infty C_n e^{-in\pi/L}$$ and you found them.

Drat, blueleaf was faster (a lot faster!) and he's good.

BvU said:
Drat, blueleaf was faster (a lot faster!) and he's good.
May be, the timezone also has effect? I live in GMT+07.00 where it's currently approaching the dusk, if you are in the same zone as the US then I imagine it must be around breakfast time right now.

GMT+1 -- after lunch dip :smile:

Even the GMT+1 isn't good enough/unambiguous nowadays. They cheat and call it CET

So I casually stumbled upon this problem and tried solving the problem on my own just for fun, but doesn't quite get the answer to part B and C. For B, do you just ignored the sine portion of the Euler's identity since f(x) is an even function?

Last edited:
rx24race said:
For B, do you just ignored the sine portion of the Euler's identity since f(x) is an even function?
If you read through this post at least until post #6, you should get the hint why the sine terms do not appear.

blue_leaf77 said:
Except for ##n=0##, for each ##n=m##, you also have ##n=-m## in the Fourier series. You have figured out that the Fourier coefficient looks like
$$
C_n = \frac{2 \cos (n\pi ) -2}{(n\pi)^2}
$$
Now compare this coefficient for ##n=m## and ##n=-m##, how do you conclude about the relation between them? Then consider the two terms out of the series which correspond to ##n=\pm m##
$$
C_m e^{-im\pi x/L} + C_{-m} e^{im\pi x/L}
$$
Taking the relation between ##C_m## and ##C_{-m}## you have found before, how can you simplify them?

Could you elaborate a bit on how this is supposed to rearrange the complex series to cosine series? Sorry, just really lost haha

Take a look at this.

blue_leaf77 said:
Take a look at this.

So this is the work I've done and attempt to solve the last part. Could you take a look and see if there are mistakes? Thanks a lot.
https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xlf1/v/t34.0-12/12966620_10153752402479331_217279662_n.jpg?oh=9654213d445a9df020ce5fbf28c18fad&oe=5715E168

Well, it doesn't represent the sine function...
beware the PF rules: the OP has to have something to do left over ...

Thanks for all your help, all. The posts through #6 clued me in as to how to actually show the sines do indeed disappear, and now I understand WHY, instead of just taking it as gospel that it does. The work shown above helped me confirm my understanding (and the work I turned in) was correct. And, lastly, that derivative represents f'(x) = d/dx /x/.

Really, really appreciate it! I wasn't grasping some of the concepts at play here; thanks so much!

Mattbringssoda said:
And, lastly, that derivative represents f'(x) = d/dx /x/.
Also known as a square wave, which is probably what they were looking for.

Related to Complex Fourier Series into a Cosine Series

1. What is a Complex Fourier Series?

A Complex Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of complex exponential functions. It is used to decompose a periodic function into its constituent frequencies, allowing for analysis and manipulation of the function.

2. How is a Complex Fourier Series converted into a Cosine Series?

To convert a Complex Fourier Series into a Cosine Series, the coefficients of the complex exponential terms are combined and simplified using Euler's formula. The resulting series will have only cosine terms, with their amplitudes and frequencies determined by the original complex coefficients.

3. What is the difference between a Complex Fourier Series and a Cosine Series?

A Complex Fourier Series includes both sine and cosine terms, while a Cosine Series only includes cosine terms. This means that a Complex Fourier Series allows for more flexibility in representing a periodic function, while a Cosine Series is more limited but easier to work with mathematically.

4. How is a Complex Fourier Series used in practical applications?

A Complex Fourier Series is used in a variety of fields such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and data analysis. It allows for the manipulation and filtering of signals and data by isolating specific frequencies in the function representation.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Complex Fourier Series into a Cosine Series?

One limitation is that the function being represented must be periodic. Additionally, the conversion process may not be suitable for all types of functions, as some may not have a well-defined Complex Fourier Series. It is important to carefully analyze the function before using this conversion method.