Complex contour integral with a second order pole at origin

In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove the central limit theorem using two uniformly distributed random variables and the use of the Dirac Delta function. The integral being solved is given and the Cauchy Residue Theorem is mentioned. The Attempt at a Solution section discusses using Plemelj's theorem and the problem with applying it to second-order poles. The poster also mentions trying different methods and substitutions, but asks for help in finding the right direction for the calculation. In response, another user suggests using the Cauchy residue theorem with a specific contour to derive the correct result.
Finnjessy

Homework Statement

Hello all. I'm currently attempting to prove the central limit theorem using a simple case of two uniformly distributed random variables. Aside from being able to solve it using convolutions, I also wish to solve it by using the Dirac Delta function. That aside, the integral I'm trying to solve is

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \! -\frac{e^{ikx}}{k^2} \, \mathrm{d}k [/tex]

with [itex] x \in [0,2] [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Cauchy Residue Theorem

[tex] Res(f,c) = \frac{1}{2\pi i}\oint_\gamma \! f(z) \, \mathrm{d}z = [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

According to Plemelj's theorem if we have a simple pole on the contour of our chosen integral, the result is equal to [itex] \pm i\pi Res(f,c) [/itex], where c is the location of the pole.

I know from both a Mathematica calculation and a Monte Carlo simulation that the solution to this integral is in fact [itex]x\pi[/itex]. However, if I calculate the residue of the function and use Plemelj's theorem, I get the exact result that I would want. The problem is that as far as I know, Plemelj's theorem should only work for simple poles and the second order term should change this calculation. My question therefor is, why does the theorem work for my second order pole?

As far as alternate ways of calculating the integral, I've tried several methods but haven't found anything that would work for second order poles. I've also attempted several different substitutions to get rid of the second order pole, but all seem to blow up to infinity or go to zero. So assuming that Plemelj's theory indeed can't be applied to higher order poles, I'm kindly asking for help as far as to what direction I should head with the calculation. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

The theorem you're citing doesn't apply to a second-order pole, so it's not really correct to say that it works for your problem. The expression just happens to give the right result.

That said, if you apply the Cauchy residue theorem with the appropriate contour, you can derive the same result. Here's a page with different contours. Try the middle one.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Contour.html

Related to Complex contour integral with a second order pole at origin

What is a complex contour integral?

A complex contour integral is a type of integral that is performed along a curve or path in the complex plane. It involves integrating a complex-valued function over a closed path, and is commonly used in complex analysis and calculus.

What is a second order pole at the origin?

A second order pole at the origin is a singularity in a complex-valued function where the function has a pole of order 2 at the point (0,0) in the complex plane. This means that the function has a double pole at the origin, which can affect the behavior of the integral.

How do you calculate a complex contour integral with a second order pole at the origin?

To calculate a complex contour integral with a second order pole at the origin, you can use the Cauchy integral formula, which involves taking the derivative of the function and evaluating it at the point of the pole. Alternatively, you can use the residue theorem to calculate the integral by finding the residue at the pole and multiplying it by 2πi.

What are the key considerations when evaluating a complex contour integral with a second order pole at the origin?

When evaluating a complex contour integral with a second order pole at the origin, it is important to carefully analyze the behavior of the function near the pole. The double pole at the origin can cause the function to have a singularity, which can affect the convergence of the integral. Additionally, the path of the contour must be chosen carefully to avoid crossing the pole, which can cause issues in the calculation.

What are some real-world applications of complex contour integrals with second order poles at the origin?

Complex contour integrals with second order poles at the origin are commonly used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving harmonic functions, such as calculating the electric potential in a region with a point charge at the origin. They are also used in signal processing and control theory to analyze systems with poles at the origin. Additionally, they have applications in fluid dynamics, optics, and other fields of science and engineering.