Complex analysis integration. Strange result

In summary, it is possible to calculate the principal value of the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x} by using contour integration and taking the limit as the radius of the semicircles tends to infinity. This results in a complex number as the answer, which may seem strange, but is a common occurrence when complex numbers are involved. However, it is not clear if this procedure truly makes the integral meaningful, as it relies on cancelling out the contributions from two opposing semicircles.
McLaren Rulez
Hi,

Consider the real variable [itex]x[/itex] and some real constant [itex]x_{0}[/itex]. I want to integrate

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex]

This blows up when the denominator is zero but we can still take the principal value of the integral. That is, we notice that the integral is an odd function around [itex]x_{0}-x = \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]x-x_{0} = \epsilon[/itex] so we ignore the integral from [itex]-\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

The integral can now be done by contour integration. We take the upper semicircle as shown in the attached image with a small semicircle around our singularity. So here I have my first question:

1) Is it true that the integral along the curve [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is zero? How can I prove it? The ML inequality didn't work for me.

Anyway, assuming it is zero, we see that our real integral is just the negative of the integral around the small semicircle near [itex]x_{o}[/itex]. And we can work that integral out to be

[tex]\int dz\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-z}[/tex]

Expressing [itex]z=x_{0}+\epsilon e^{i\theta}[/itex] we get [itex]dz = i\epsilon e^{i\theta}[/itex]

This makes the integral

[tex]\int_{\pi}^{0} d\theta i \epsilon e^{i\theta}\frac{x_{0}}{-\epsilon e^{i\theta}} = i\pi x_{0}[/tex]

That is [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x} = -i\pi x_{0}[/tex]

And that raises another question

2) Why is the integral of a real function giving me a complex number as the result? How did the i get in there?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a common thing. Once complex numbers are involved they tend to show up. The integral does not exist in the usual sense, so a new definition is made. This new integral might as well be complex as any thing else. Similar things happen when a real number is approximated by a complex one. We might have 2~2.001+.001i, in some sense this is a bad approximation, while in another sense it is good.

There are two semicircles in the path. According to my calculation their integrals cancel, leaving zero for the portion on the real line. That makes sense to me since the function is antisymmetric about the centre of arc of the semicircles.
Also, it's not clear to me that this procedure makes the integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex] meaningful. You may be able to evaluate [tex]lim_{ε→0, R→∞} (\int_{-R}^{-ε}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}+\int_{ε}^{R}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x})[/tex], but it's a stretch to claim that's an evaluation of [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex].

Thank you both for the replies.

haruspex said:
There are two semicircles in the path. According to my calculation their integrals cancel, leaving zero for the portion on the real line. That makes sense to me since the function is antisymmetric about the centre of arc of the semicircles.
Also, it's not clear to me that this procedure makes the integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex] meaningful. You may be able to evaluate [tex]lim_{ε→0, R→∞} (\int_{-R}^{-ε}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}+\int_{ε}^{R}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x})[/tex], but it's a stretch to claim that's an evaluation of [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex].

I was assuming that the larger semicircle would somehow integrate to zero (as they usually do for contour integration). Is that not true then? That was my first question.

Also, let's say I just wanted
[tex]lim_{ε→0, R→∞} (\int_{-R}^{-ε}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}+\int_{ε}^{R}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x})[/tex]

Are you saying this is zero?

McLaren Rulez said:
Also, let's say I just wanted
[tex]lim_{ε→0, R→∞} (\int_{-R}^{-ε}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}+\int_{ε}^{R}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x})[/tex]

Are you saying this is zero?

It's equivalent to looking at:

[tex]\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\left(\int_{-1}^{\epsilon} \frac{1}{x} dx+\int_{\epsilon}^1 \frac{1}{x}dx\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0} \left(\log(x)\biggr|_{-1}^{-\epsilon}+\log(x)\biggr|_{\epsilon}^{1}\right)[/tex]
[tex]=\lim_{\epsilon\to 0}\left(\ln|\epsilon|+\pi i-(\pi i)-\ln|\epsilon|)\right)[/tex]
[tex]=0[/tex]

I see.

This is strange because this result is part of the integration to calculate a Lamb shift. Maybe I am making a mistake somewhere because the answer should not be zero.

Thank you for the help.

McLaren Rulez said:
Hi,

Consider the real variable [itex]x[/itex] and some real constant [itex]x_{0}[/itex]. I want to integrate

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x}[/tex]

This blows up when the denominator is zero but we can still take the principal value of the integral. That is, we notice that the integral is an odd function around [itex]x_{0}-x = \epsilon[/itex] and [itex]x-x_{0} = \epsilon[/itex] so we ignore the integral from [itex]-\epsilon[/itex] to [itex]\epsilon[/itex].

The integral can now be done by contour integration. We take the upper semicircle as shown in the attached image with a small semicircle around our singularity. So here I have my first question:

1) Is it true that the integral along the curve [itex]\Gamma[/itex] is zero? How can I prove it? The ML inequality didn't work for me.

Anyway, assuming it is zero, we see that our real integral is just the negative of the integral around the small semicircle near [itex]x_{o}[/itex]. And we can work that integral out to be

[tex]\int dz\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-z}[/tex]

Expressing [itex]z=x_{0}+\epsilon e^{i\theta}[/itex] we get [itex]dz = i\epsilon e^{i\theta}[/itex]

This makes the integral

[tex]\int_{\pi}^{0} d\theta i \epsilon e^{i\theta}\frac{x_{0}}{-\epsilon e^{i\theta}} = i\pi x_{0}[/tex]

That is [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{x_{0}}{x_{0}-x} = -i\pi x_{0}[/tex]

And that raises another question

2) Why is the integral of a real function giving me a complex number as the result? How did the i get in there?

Thank you very much for your help :)

You didn't include the contribution from the large semi-circle of radius R. It does not tend to zero as the radius is taken to infinity. Its contribution will cancel out the contribution from the small semi-circle. The principle value of the integral is thus zero.

haruspex said:

It is a standard way of calculating the principal value of an integral. The limit version you wrote down is essentially the definition (though what you wrote has a typo - the limits should be ##x_0 - \epsilon## and ##x_0 + \epsilon##, rather than ##\mp \epsilon##), and is how such divergent integrals are often treated in calculations which require a sensible answer.

Related to Complex analysis integration. Strange result

What is complex analysis integration?

Complex analysis integration is the branch of mathematics that deals with the integration of complex-valued functions. It extends the familiar concept of integration from real-valued functions to complex-valued functions and allows for the evaluation of integrals over complex domains.

What is a strange result in complex analysis integration?

A strange result in complex analysis integration refers to an unexpected or counterintuitive outcome when evaluating an integral. This can occur due to the complex nature of the domain and the behavior of complex-valued functions.

Why is complex analysis integration important?

Complex analysis integration has many important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the solution of complex differential equations, the evaluation of complex integrals in physics and signal processing, and the study of complex analytic functions and their properties.

What are some common techniques used in complex analysis integration?

Some common techniques used in complex analysis integration include contour integration, Cauchy's integral theorem, and Cauchy's integral formula. These techniques involve utilizing the properties of analytic functions and integration along specific paths in the complex plane.

What are some real-world examples where complex analysis integration is used?

Complex analysis integration has applications in many fields, including electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. For example, it is used to calculate the electric potential of a charged object, the flow of a fluid around obstacles, and the probability amplitudes in quantum mechanics.