Completing equilibrium table for [Ba] and [IO3]

In summary: So, the summary for the conversation is: "In summary, the person has created 5 mixtures in lab and is trying to complete equilibrium tables. They have found most of the data through calculations, but are unsure how to find the change in concentration of Ba2+. They know there is a 2:1 ratio between IO3 and Ba2+ and are seeking help on how to find the change in Ba2+. They have 5 mixtures to complete and are hoping to figure out how to do this one so they can complete the rest on their own."
Glitche
1. I have created 5 mixtures in lab and from these mixtures I am suppose to complete the equilibrium tables. I have already found most of the data via calculations such as the absorbency and the concentration of IO3- (which is the one known concentration on the equilibrium chart) I am just curious as of how to find the rest of the chart, such as the change in concentration of Ba2+ and it's equilibrium 2.(see attached pictures)
3. If you look at the pictures I have attached I found out the equilibrium of IO3 and the change in IO3, I know in order to find the other two blank boxes I must take in account that there is a 2:1 ratio between IO3 and Ba2+. I'm not sure if I should divide the change of IO3 by 2 or take the square root of it in order to find the change in Ba2+. Any help is appreciated. I have 5 mixtures to do but if I am able to find out how to do this one I can do the rest on my own.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• pic2.png
    pic2.png
    9.9 KB · Views: 441
  • problem 1.jpg
    problem 1.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, not knowing what was the experimental procedure it is hard to answer. It is all about mass balance and reaction stoichiometry.

Related to Completing equilibrium table for [Ba] and [IO3]

What is an equilibrium table and why is it important?

An equilibrium table is a table used to organize and calculate the concentrations of reactants and products at equilibrium in a chemical reaction. It is important because it helps us understand the direction and extent of a reaction, as well as predict the concentrations of substances present at equilibrium.

How do I determine the equilibrium constant for a reaction?

To determine the equilibrium constant, you need to use the concentrations of products and reactants at equilibrium. The equilibrium constant (K) is calculated by dividing the concentration of products by the concentration of reactants, with each concentration raised to the power of its coefficient in the balanced chemical equation.

What information do I need to complete an equilibrium table?

To complete an equilibrium table for [Ba] and [IO3], you will need the initial concentrations of the reactants, the change in concentration for each substance, and the final concentrations at equilibrium. The coefficients from the balanced chemical equation are also necessary to determine the equilibrium constant.

How do I know when an equilibrium table is complete?

An equilibrium table is complete when the concentrations of reactants and products no longer change with each successive row. This means that the reaction has reached equilibrium, and the concentrations at equilibrium can be used to calculate the equilibrium constant.

What factors can affect the equilibrium constant of a reaction?

The equilibrium constant (K) of a reaction is determined by the temperature and the nature of the reactants and products involved. Changes in concentration, pressure, or volume can also alter the equilibrium constant, as these factors can affect the forward and reverse reaction rates.