Complete the Square: How to Evaluate an Integral

In summary, the process of completing the square is used to simplify an expression by rewriting it in the form of a perfect square. In this case, the equation ikx - a^2k^2 is rewritten as - (ak - \frac{ix}{2a} )^2 - \frac{x^2}{4a^2} through the process of completing the square. This allows for easier evaluation of the integral.
solidus_E
this isn't really a homework problem

it's just me trying to understand a part of an example problem from a modern physics book

it's an integral of a wave packet, blah blah blah

but they go on to say "...to evaluate the integral, we first complete the square in the exponent as..."

[tex]ikx - a^2k^2 = - (ak - \frac{ix}{2a} )^2 - \frac{x^2}{4a^2} [/tex]

how in the world does one arrive at that?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
i appreciate the link

but it doesn't help

edit: nm, i see what's going on...but can someone explain wtf

Last edited:
solidus_E said:
edit: nm, i see what's going on...but can someone explain wtf

If you can elaborate on what exactly it is you're struggling with then perhaps someone can help you.

getting started lol

how would you work with the [tex]a^2k^2[/tex]

solidus_E said:
this isn't really a homework problem

it's just me trying to understand a part of an example problem from a modern physics book

it's an integral of a wave packet, blah blah blah

but they go on to say "...to evaluate the integral, we first complete the square in the exponent as..."

[tex]ikx - a^2k^2 = - (ak - \frac{ix}{2a} )^2 - \frac{x^2}{4a^2} [/tex]

how in the world does one arrive at that?
We can start with:
[tex]ikx-a^{2}k^{2}=-((ak)^{2}-ikx))=-((ak)^{2}-2(ak)\frac{ix}{2a})[/tex]
What must you add&subtract in order to generate an expression in which k is hidden away linearly within a square?

where did you get the [tex]\frac{ix}{2a}[/tex]

solidus_E said:
where did you get the [tex]\frac{ix}{2a}[/tex]
[tex]ikx=1*ikx=\frac{2a}{2a}*ikx=2(ak)\frac{ix}{2a}[/tex]

If you take a look at a general example it may help clarify. We use the fact that:

[tex] (x+b)^2 = x^2+2bx +b^2 [/tex]

which can be written as,

[tex] (x+b)^2 -b^2 = x^2 +2bx [/tex]

Now if you look at what arildno has done in post number 6, he's written your equation in the form [itex] x^2+2bx[/itex] where [itex]x=-(ak)[/itex] and [itex]b=\frac{ix}{2a}[/itex]. Now I'm sure you can confirm for yourself from here where they obtained the equation in your original post.

Related to Complete the Square: How to Evaluate an Integral

1. What is the purpose of completing the square in evaluating an integral?

Completing the square is a technique used to rewrite a quadratic expression in the form of (x + a)^2 + b. This allows us to easily integrate the expression using substitution, making the integration process simpler and more efficient.

2. When should I use the complete the square method to evaluate an integral?

The complete the square method is most commonly used to evaluate integrals of quadratic expressions, but can also be used for other types of integrals where substitution is needed. It is especially useful when the integral involves a radical expression or when the integrand is in the form of ax^2 + bx + c.

3. How do I complete the square in an integral?

To complete the square in an integral, follow these steps:
1. Rewrite the integrand in the form of ax^2 + bx + c.
2. Take half of the coefficient of the x term and square it.
3. Add and subtract this value inside the parentheses.
4. Factor the trinomial inside the parentheses and rewrite the integral.
5. Integrate the new expression using substitution.

4. What are the benefits of using the complete the square method in integration?

Using the complete the square method can simplify the integration process and make it easier to evaluate integrals, especially those involving quadratic expressions. It also allows for the use of substitution, which can make the integration process more efficient.

5. Are there any limitations to using the complete the square method in integration?

The complete the square method is only useful for integrals involving quadratic expressions or those that can be rewritten in the form of ax^2 + bx + c. It may not be as effective for integrals with more complicated expressions or those that can be integrated using other techniques such as integration by parts or partial fractions.