Complete ordered fields are Archimedean

In summary, the proof in the book states that if F is not Archimedean, then there exists no integer N with x < N. However, if the list of integers ends abruptly as hypothesized, the sequence is ill defined.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Homework Statement

I'm troublde by the proof appearing in my book that complete ordered fields are Archimedean. It says, "Suppose F is not Archimedean, i.e. that given an x in F, there are no "integer" N with x < N. And consider the monotone sequence 1,2,3,..." (and then it goes on to show that this sequence, although increasing and bounded by x, does not converge becuz if it did to y, then we would have 1=|n+1-1|<|n+1-y|+|y-n|<2*epsilon ==><== as soon as epsilon < 1/2)

But if the list of integers ends abruptly as hypothesized, the sequence is ill defined, is it not? When one writes "1,2,3,...", one means that the actual sequence is the map from [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] to F that sends 1 to 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3, etc. But what does the map send N to if N is not in F?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
quasar987 said:
But if the list of integers ends abruptly as hypothesized
Where was that hypothesized?

quasar987 said:
"Suppose F is not Archimedean, i.e. that given an x in F, there are no "integer" N with x < N."

Well, there is no integer greater than x. So there is a largest integer.

quasar987 said:
Well, there is no integer greater than x. So there is a largest integer.
How does that follow?

Well, we know that 1 and x are in F. x is greater than 1. There is no integer greater than x. Therefor, either 1 is the greatest integer, or there exists another one btw 1 and x. In any case, there is a greatest integer.

At least this is how I think about all this. What is wrong?

quasar987 said:
Well, we know that 1 and x are in F. x is greater than 1. There is no integer greater than x. Therefor, either 1 is the greatest integer, or there exists another one btw 1 and x. In any case, there is a greatest integer.

At least this is how I think about all this. What is wrong?
The conclusion does not follow from anything you've said. How do you conclude the existence of a greatest integer? Where do you prove that there exists an integer n such that, for every other integer m, m < n?

You argued that either 1 is the largest integer, or there exists an integer between 1 and x. Why does that imply there is a largest integer?

Try rigorously proving your claim -- hopefully you'll see that there's a problem, and why anyone would have ever thought to state the Archimedian axiom.

If you want an explicit example of a nonarchmedian ordered ring, consider the ring of all polynomials over the reals with the reverse dictionary ordering: if you write down the coefficients (ending with the constant one), the one that would come first in the dictionary is the smaller one. e.g.

1 + 3 x^2 < 2 x + x^3, because if we write the coefficients:

... 0 0 3 0 1 | for 1 + 3 x^2
... 0 1 0 2 0 | for 2x + x^3

and 0 3 0 1 comes before 1 0 2 0 in the dictionary order.

Observe that x > n for all integers n. This ordering can be extended to the field of rational functions over the reals.

I suppose a more analytic way to describe this ordering is:

f < g iff there exists a C such that for all x > C we have f(x) < g(x).

Last edited:
I understand.

hi there,

in this proof i didnt understand why |n+1-y| < epsilon. I think that If |n-y|< epsilon then |n+1-y|<epsilon+1.

Where am I wrong?

Also, I didnt understand why the sequence is bounded above by x, isn't it unbounded? How can we bound 1,2,3 ... ?

Last edited:
magnumartus said:
How can we bound 1,2,3 ... ?

That's what happens if the field is non-Archimedean.

I got it, thanks a lot.

Can someone explain why |n+1-y| < epsilon when |n-y| < epsilon ?

Related to Complete ordered fields are Archimedean

1. What is the definition of a complete ordered field?

A complete ordered field is a mathematical structure that satisfies all of the axioms of a field (addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division) and also has a total order relation that is compatible with the field operations. In other words, it is a set of numbers that can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and divided, and these operations follow the usual rules of arithmetic, while also being able to be arranged in a linear order.

2. What does it mean for a complete ordered field to be Archimedean?

A complete ordered field is said to be Archimedean if for any two elements in the field, there exists a positive integer that is greater than the first element but less than or equal to the second element. In simpler terms, this means that there are no infinitesimal or infinitely large elements in the field, and all elements can be compared and measured using integers.

3. How does the Archimedean property relate to the completeness of a field?

The Archimedean property is one of the defining properties of a complete ordered field. It ensures that the field is "dense" in the sense that there are no gaps between elements, and every element can be approximated by other elements in the field. This is necessary for the completeness of the field, which means that there are no "holes" or missing elements in the field.

4. What are some examples of complete ordered fields that are Archimedean?

One example of a complete ordered field that is Archimedean is the set of real numbers, denoted by ℝ. This is the most commonly known example, and it satisfies all of the axioms of a complete ordered field, including the Archimedean property. Other examples include the set of rational numbers, denoted by ℚ, and the set of complex numbers, denoted by ℂ.

5. Are there any fields that are not Archimedean?

Yes, there are fields that do not satisfy the Archimedean property. One example is the field of hyperreal numbers, which extends the real numbers to include infinitesimal and infinitely large elements. Another example is the field of surreal numbers, which includes both real and non-real elements and also has infinitesimal and infinitely large elements. These fields are not considered complete ordered fields because they do not satisfy the Archimedean property.