Competition Calculus Problems and Techniques

In summary, the conversation discusses participation in the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament for Algebra and Calculus and the difficulty of some of the problems, as well as the person's background in math. They are seeking recommendations for online resources for solving difficult single-variable calculus problems. They also ask for information about other schools that hold integration bees or similar events and post the questions and solutions online.
n1person
I am currently signed up for the Harvard-MIT Math Tournament for Algebra and Calculus (an example: http://web.mit.edu/hmmt/www/datafiles/solutions/2009/solutions-calculus-2009.pdf). I am able to solve a fair number, but some of the solutions are just completely incomprehensible (see the last problem). I've taken BC Calculus, Multivariable Calculus, Linear Algebra, and Differential Equations and studied little bits of Analysis, but I was curious if anyone knew of a good online source of problems and/or techniques to solve these sorts of difficult single-variable calculus problems (use of techniques like variation of parameters (see last problem: http://web.mit.edu/hmmt/www/datafiles/solutions/2007/scalc07.pdf) or use of Catalan numbers to solve sums, etc). Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
here is a new question, seeing how people don't seem to like my old one:

Does anyone know of schools other than U of North Texas which holds integration bees or similar events, particularly those that might post the questions and/or solutions online?

Related to Competition Calculus Problems and Techniques

What is the purpose of competition calculus problems?

The purpose of competition calculus problems is to assess a person's understanding and application of calculus concepts in a competitive setting. These problems often involve real-world scenarios and require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are some common techniques used in competition calculus problems?

Some common techniques used in competition calculus problems include optimization, related rates, integration, differentiation, and the use of multiple variables. These techniques are used to solve complex problems and find the most efficient and accurate solutions.

How can I improve my skills in solving competition calculus problems?

One way to improve your skills in solving competition calculus problems is to practice regularly. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help you understand the concepts and techniques better. It can also be helpful to work with a study group or seek guidance from a teacher or tutor.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving competition calculus problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving competition calculus problems include not fully understanding the given problem, using incorrect formulas or techniques, miscalculating or making careless errors, and not showing all the steps in your solution. It is important to carefully read and analyze the problem and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

How can competition calculus problems be applied in real life?

Competition calculus problems often involve real-world scenarios, so the skills and techniques used in solving them can be applied in various fields such as engineering, economics, physics, and more. Calculus is used to model and solve problems in many industries, making it a valuable skill for many career paths.