Compatibilty of the Dirichlet boundary condition

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of solving a Poisson equation with a given boundary condition. The person is trying to understand the conditions under which a solution exists and is working on a contrived example. They have found a particular solution but are unsure about its continuity. Another person suggests using two homogenous solutions to match the boundary conditions. Finally, there is a clarification about a mistake in the calculation.
bhatiaharsh
Hi,

I am trying to solve a Poisson equation [itex]\nabla^2 \phi = f[/itex] in [itex]\Omega[/itex], with Dirichlet boundary condition [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] on [itex]\partial \Omega[/itex]. My problem is that I am trying to understand the condition under which a solution exists. All the text I consulted says that the problem is solvable.

However, I am working on contrived example for which I don't see how a solution is possible, yet I am unable to explain it. Consider a function and its first two derivatives,
[tex]
F(x) = -\frac1 4 e^{-2x} (2x + 1) \\
\frac{dF}{dx} = x e^{-2x} \\
\frac{d^2F}{dx^2} = e^{-2x} (1-2x)
[/tex]
Clearly, [itex]F(x) \neq 0[/itex] for [itex]x = 0,1[/itex]. I am attaching the plots of these functions [itex]F(x)[/itex] in black, [itex]\frac{dF}{dx}[/itex] in red, and [itex]\frac{d^2F}{dx^2}[/itex] in green.

Now, suppose, I solve the Poisson equation said above, with [itex]\nabla^2 \phi = e^{-2x} (1-2x)[/itex] for [itex]0 < x < 1[/itex], I hope to recover [itex]\phi = F[/itex] uniquely upto a harmonic. However, the given that [itex]\phi = 0[/itex] for [itex]x = 0, 1[/itex], I don't see how this can produce a continuous [itex]\phi[/itex], which matches the black curve.

I think this is because the information I pass to the system is corrupt, however, no textbook tells me any requirement on the compatibility between the source function and the boundary condition. Any insights are appreciated.

Attachments

• plots.png
    plots.png
    7 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've found a particular solution to the problem, but I think you're forgetting about the two homogenous solutions that you can use to match your boundary conditions.

Hi !
Solution in attachment :

Attachments

• Particular silution.JPG
    Particular silution.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 427
Thanks both of you.

JJacquelin, I think you used [itex](1-2x)[/itex] instead of [itex](1+2x) [/itex], and therefore calculation of [itex]c_1,c_2[/itex] are wrong. But I got the general idea. Thanks a lot.

Dear researcher,

Thank you for sharing your findings and concerns regarding the compatibility of the Dirichlet boundary condition in solving a Poisson equation. It is important to note that the existence and uniqueness of a solution to a boundary value problem, such as the one you are working on, depends on the compatibility of the boundary conditions and the source function.

In this case, it seems that the source function, e^{-2x} (1-2x), is not compatible with the given boundary condition of \phi = 0 on \partial \Omega. This can be seen from the plots you have provided, where the solution \phi should match the black curve, but it does not due to the mismatch between the source function and boundary condition.

To ensure compatibility, it is necessary for the source function to satisfy the boundary condition at all points on the boundary. In other words, the source function should also be zero at x = 0 and x = 1 in this case. This requirement is often mentioned in textbooks, but it may not be explicitly stated in the context of the Dirichlet boundary condition.

In addition, it is important to note that the uniqueness of the solution may not hold if the compatibility of the boundary conditions and the source function is not satisfied. In some cases, the solution may not exist at all.

I hope this explanation helps in understanding the issue you have encountered. It is always important to carefully check the compatibility of the boundary conditions and the source function in order to ensure the existence and uniqueness of the solution to a boundary value problem.

Best regards,

Related to Compatibilty of the Dirichlet boundary condition

1. What is the Dirichlet boundary condition?

The Dirichlet boundary condition is a type of boundary condition commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields, specifically in the field of partial differential equations. It specifies the value of a function at the boundary of a certain region or domain.

2. How is the Dirichlet boundary condition different from other boundary conditions?

The Dirichlet boundary condition differs from other boundary conditions, such as the Neumann boundary condition, in that it specifies the value of the function itself at the boundary, rather than its derivative or normal derivative.

3. What is the importance of considering the compatibility of the Dirichlet boundary condition?

The compatibility of the Dirichlet boundary condition is important because it ensures that the boundary condition is consistent with the rest of the problem and does not introduce any errors or inconsistencies in the solution.

4. How is the compatibility of the Dirichlet boundary condition determined?

The compatibility of the Dirichlet boundary condition is typically determined by checking if the boundary condition is satisfied by the solution of the problem. This can be done analytically or numerically, depending on the complexity of the problem.

5. What are the consequences of an incompatible Dirichlet boundary condition?

If the Dirichlet boundary condition is incompatible, the solution to the problem may not be accurate and may introduce errors. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and make the solution unusable for further analysis or applications.