Comparing Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations

In summary, Lagrange's equation of motion and the Euler-Lagrange equations are both ways of finding the path that minimizes the action S. The Lagrange Equations of 2nd kind are the Euler-Lagrange equations in the Hamiltonian formulation, while the Lagrange Equations of 1st kind involve constraints and Lagrange multipliers.
Niles
Hi

What is the difference between Lagrange's equation of motion and the Euler-Lagrange equations? Don't they both yield the path which minimizes the action S?

Niles.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lagrange Equations of 2nd kind are the Euler-Lagrange equations of the Hamilton least-action principle in its Lagrangian formulation. In the Hamiltonian formulation you get the equivalent Hamilton Canonical Equations of Motion for configuration and conjugate momentum variables.

The Lagrange Equations of 1st kind are the Euler-Lagrange equations of the Hamilton least-action principle under constraints.

Just to be absolutely sure, then by the Lagrange Equations of 2nd kind you mean

[tex]
\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {\frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial v_i }}\left( {\gamma (t),\mathop \gamma \limits^. (t),t} \right)} \right) - \frac{{\partial L}}{{\partial q_i }}(\gamma (t),\mathop \gamma \limits^. (t),t) = 0
[/tex]

where the corresponding Hamilton's equations are[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
\mathop q\limits^. _i (t) = \frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial p_i }}(q(t),p(t),t) \\
\mathop p\limits^. _i (t) = - \frac{{\partial H}}{{\partial p_i }}(q(t),p(t),t)
\end{array}
[/tex]

?

Yep, but the last Eq. should read

[tex]\dot{p}_i=-\frac{\partial H}{\partial q^i}.[/tex]

Great -- and for clarity, then by the Lagrange Eqations of the 1st kind you mean

[tex]
\frac{d}{{dt}}\left( {\partial _{\mathop x\limits^. } L} \right) - \partial _x L = 0
[/tex]

?Niles.

No, these are the Lagrange equations of 2nd kind. Those of 1st kind are usually formulated in Cartesian coordinates taking into account constraints with help of Lagrange multipliers. These introduce the forces needed to fulfill the constraints explicitly into the equations of motion.

Ahh, I see. In that case I believe I have deciphered what my book means: The first EL-equations I wrote are for fields, where the ones I wrote in #5 are in 1D.

Related to Comparing Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations

1. What is the difference between Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations are both equations used in classical mechanics to describe the motion of a system. However, the main difference between them is that Lagrange's Equation of Motion is used to describe the motion of a system in terms of generalized coordinates, while Euler-Lagrange Equations are used to describe the motion in terms of the system's Lagrangian.

2. How do Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations relate to each other?

Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations are essentially equivalent equations, as they both describe the same physical system. However, Lagrange's Equation of Motion is derived from Euler-Lagrange Equations by using the principle of least action, which states that the path taken by a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral.

3. What are the advantages of using Euler-Lagrange Equations over Lagrange's Equation of Motion?

One advantage of using Euler-Lagrange Equations is that they can be easily generalized to systems with non-conservative forces, while Lagrange's Equation of Motion is only valid for systems with conservative forces. Additionally, Euler-Lagrange Equations provide a more elegant and concise way of describing the motion of a system, as they are derived from the fundamental principles of mechanics.

4. Can Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations be applied to all types of systems?

Yes, both Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations can be applied to any system that can be described by a Lagrangian, which is a function that summarizes the kinetic and potential energies of a system. This includes both mechanical and non-mechanical systems.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lagrange's Equation of Motion and Euler-Lagrange Equations?

Yes, these equations have many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and robotics. They are commonly used to model the behavior of mechanical systems, analyze the motion of celestial bodies, and develop control systems for robotic arms and other complex machines.