Commuting Pauli Matrices: A Tricky Homework Challenge

In summary, the product can be expressed as a series and does not simply combine to give 1 due to the noncommutability of the matrices involved.
unscientific

Homework Statement

Express the product

where σy and σz are the other two Pauli matrices defined above.

commutatorpauli1.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is a trick question, because right away both exponentials combine to give 1, where the result is simply σx

commutatorpauli2.png

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the whole point of the exercise, to see that the exponentials do not combine to give 1. To do such a thing, you would have to pass [itex]exp(i\alpha\sigma^z)[/itex] to the other side of [itex]\sigma^x[/itex]. But [itex]\left[\sigma^z,\sigma^x\right]\neq0[/itex] so that you can't simply commute them.

Hint: express the exponential as a series.

Likes 1 person
kevinferreira said:
That's the whole point of the exercise, to see that the exponentials do not combine to give 1. To do such a thing, you would have to pass [itex]exp(i\alpha\sigma^z)[/itex] to the other side of [itex]\sigma^x[/itex]. But [itex]\left[\sigma^z,\sigma^x\right]\neq0[/itex] so that you can't simply commute them.

Hint: express the exponential as a series.

Ah, I see what you mean, as the sum is a matrix and not a number. Silly me.

Last edited:

Related to Commuting Pauli Matrices: A Tricky Homework Challenge

What are commutators of Pauli matrices?

Commutators of Pauli matrices refer to the mathematical operation of taking the difference between two of the three Pauli matrices (X, Y, and Z). This operation is used in quantum mechanics to calculate the uncertainty between two observables.

Why are commutators of Pauli matrices important?

Commutators of Pauli matrices are important in quantum mechanics because they allow us to determine the uncertainty between two observables. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making predictions about their outcomes.

How do you calculate commutators of Pauli matrices?

To calculate the commutator of two Pauli matrices, you simply take the difference between them. For example, the commutator of X and Y would be XY - YX. It is important to note that the order in which the matrices are subtracted matters.

What do commutators of Pauli matrices tell us about quantum systems?

The commutators of Pauli matrices provide information about the uncertainty between two observables in a quantum system. This uncertainty is related to the non-commutativity of quantum operators, which is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics.

Can commutators of Pauli matrices be used in other areas of science?

Yes, the concept of commutators is not limited to quantum mechanics and can be applied in other areas of science, such as in classical mechanics and electromagnetism. However, the specific Pauli matrices are unique to quantum mechanics and are not applicable in other fields.