Commutatos and angular momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the commutator [Le,Lf] in terms of unit vectors e and f and the angular momentum operator L. It is suggested to write out e·L and f·L in terms of the Cartesian components of L and explore possible solutions.
Monalisa

Homework Statement

Let e and f be unit vectors. Le = eL is the definition of the component of angular momentum in direction e. Calculate the commutator [Le,Lf ] in terms of e, f and L

Homework Equations

[A,B]=(AB-BA)

The Attempt at a Solution

we know that L=r x p, in classical mechanics, and in quantum physics we have the operators for angular momentum in cartesian coordinates for example, but in my problem I have just two direction, e and f, and I am obtaining as answering 0. How can I do this exercise ? thanks
upload_2015-2-4_23-34-19.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Since you know the commutation relations for the Cartesian components of L, it might be a good idea to write out e##\cdot##L and f##\cdot##L in terms of the Cartesian components of L.

Are the unit vectors ##\hat{e}## and ##\hat{f}## some arbitrary unit vectors in Cartesian space? In that case, it might be easy to start with something simple such as ##\hat{e} = \hat{x}## and ##\hat{f} = \hat{y}## and then moving into a more general case.

but, and about the z component for example, if I do this in two coordenates, the answer will be zero, maybe is zero the solution, I do not know

Why zero ? Follow Sigurdsson's sound advice and post your workings, please.

Related to Commutatos and angular momentum

1. What are commutators and how do they relate to angular momentum?

Commutators are mathematical operators used to measure the difference between two operators. They are important in quantum mechanics as they help determine the uncertainty and compatibility of observables, such as angular momentum. In particular, the commutator of two angular momentum operators helps determine the magnitude and direction of a particle's angular momentum.

2. How is angular momentum defined in physics?

In physics, angular momentum is defined as the measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity. In simpler terms, it is the quantity of rotational motion an object possesses.

3. What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that in the absence of external torque, the angular momentum of a system will not change.

4. How does angular momentum affect the motion of objects?

Angular momentum plays a significant role in the motion of objects. For example, it affects the stability of an object's rotation and determines the behavior of objects in a spinning motion, such as a gyroscope. In addition, angular momentum also affects the trajectory of objects in orbital motion, such as planets orbiting a star.

5. How is angular momentum measured and expressed?

Angular momentum is typically measured in units of kilogram meters squared per second (kg·m2/s) and is expressed as a vector quantity. This means that it has both magnitude and direction, with the direction following the right-hand rule. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is quantized and expressed in units of h-bar (ħ), which is equal to Planck's constant divided by 2π.