Commutative rings and unity element proof

In summary: Therefore, there is no element ##e## such that ##2e=2##. Since this holds for any even integer ##r##, it follows that E does not have a unity element.
mikky05v
So this is a review problem in our book I came across and i really want to understand it but I am just not having any luck, I did some research and found a guide on solving it but that's not really helping either. We didn't talk about unity elements in class and there aren't any examples in our book just this problem. Would anyone be willing to take the time to fully explain this to me and show me how to prove it?

Question:
You may assume that
E=even integers is a Commutative Ring.
Prove that E does NOT have a unity element

Information I found online: It suffices to show that there is at least a single element, n, of E , for which no element of E acts as a unity element for that specific n.

So specifically, consider the case n = 2 and let m = any element of
E. Then m MUST have exactly 1 of 3 possible properties:

so let CASE 1 cover the 1st possible property of m and show that m cannot be a “unity” for 2

and let CASE 2 cover the 2nd possible property of m and show that m cannot be a “unity” for 2

and let CASE 3 cover the 3rd possible property of m and show that m cannot be a “unity” for 2

Conclude that if there is no unity element ‘e’ for 2 such that 2*e=e*2=2

then, of course, there is no unity element for all of
E …

E does NOT have a unity element

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your cases. What are these three properties of ##m## that you are mentioning?

I think you are making this harder than it has to be. A unity element ##e## must satisfy ##er= r## for every ##r\in R##. As you noted, it suffices to show that ##er=r## is impossible when ##r=2##. Since any candidate ##e## is an even integer, you can write it as ##e=2k## for some integer ##k##. What can you conclude from ##er=r##?

the cases were a guide I found to solving the same problem . I'm not entirely sure what they were talking about but it was about the exact same problem so i thought they might be important. What you are saying makes sense tho. I'm not sure where you are going with your question, are you saying I should consider 2e=2 ?

mikky05v said:
the cases were a guide I found to solving the same problem . I'm not entirely sure what they were talking about but it was about the exact same problem so i thought they might be important. What you are saying makes sense tho. I'm not sure where you are going with your question, are you saying I should consider 2e=2 ?
Just substitute ##e=2k## and ##r=2## into ##er=r##, and see if you can find a contradiction.

Likes 1 person
You should look for a contradiction somewhere. Use jbun's hint.

i think I got it!

Suppose;

1Er=r
∀ r∈E. 1E2=2. since 1E can be written as 2k for k∈Z we have,(2k)(2)=2
this implies that 2l=1, which is false for ∀l∈Z. Contradiction

Therefore, E does not have a unity element

Does this look sound?

mikky05v said:
i think I got it!

Suppose;

1Er=r
∀ r∈E. 1E2=2. since 1E can be written as 2k for k∈Z we have,

(2k)(2)=2
this implies that 2l=1, which is false for ∀l∈Z. Contradiction

Therefore, E does not have a unity element
2l=1

Does this look sound?
Yes, it looks fine. A slightly different way to say it is that ##(2k)(2) = 4k = 2## implies that ##2## is a multiple of ##4##, which is obviously false.

Related to Commutative rings and unity element proof

What is a commutative ring?

A commutative ring is a set of elements with two binary operations, addition and multiplication, that satisfy certain properties such as commutativity, associativity, and distributivity. It is an algebraic structure commonly studied in abstract algebra.

What is a unity element in a commutative ring?

A unity element, also known as an identity element, is an element in a commutative ring that behaves like a multiplicative identity. This means that when this element is multiplied with any other element in the ring, the result is the same as that element. In other words, it is the element that does not change the value of any other element when multiplied.

How do you prove the existence of a unity element in a commutative ring?

To prove the existence of a unity element in a commutative ring, one must show that there exists an element that behaves like a multiplicative identity. This can be done by showing that the element satisfies the necessary properties, such as being an identity element for multiplication and being closed under multiplication with all other elements in the ring.

What is the importance of a unity element in a commutative ring?

The unity element is important in a commutative ring because it allows for the existence of multiplicative inverses for non-zero elements. This is necessary for certain operations, such as division, to be defined in the ring. Additionally, the unity element helps to simplify calculations and proofs by providing a fixed point of reference.

Can a commutative ring have more than one unity element?

No, a commutative ring can only have one unity element. This is because the unity element must satisfy certain properties, and if there were more than one element that satisfied these properties, they would be equal to each other and therefore not be considered separate elements.