Common Time: Explaining Einstein's Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "common time" in relation to Einstein's theory of relativity and the synchronization of clocks. The participants suggest different definitions and interpretations of this term, and discuss the importance of understanding the ideas behind it rather than just memorizing equations. They also caution against learning relativity solely from the original papers and suggest studying it from modern sources as well.
WilliamMGiraldo
Hi.

Thanks for letting me ask this question. It is a stupid one.
I'm a newbie at relativity theory, and I'm reading On the electrodynamics of moving bodies, By Einstein, A. He associates time with space, and tells us that you can measure the "time" of an event if you are in the coordinates of the event with a wristwatch.

However, he says that:
upload_2018-1-9_8-20-50.png

¿Why does this defines a common time? ¿What is common time? ¿Is it that the two clocks display the same value?

This is the document in question: http://hermes.ffn.ub.es/luisnavarro/nuevo_maletin/Einstein_1905_relativity.pdf

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-9_8-20-50.png
    upload_2018-1-9_8-20-50.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 660
Physics news on Phys.org
WilliamMGiraldo said:
¿Why does this defines a common time? ¿What is common time? ¿Is it that the two clocks display the same value?
In context, this "common time" would be a definition of time that is common to (that is a time standard that is shared between and can be used for) both events near A and events near B. He is leading toward what we would describe as "coordinate time" and is suggesting a synchronization convention that can be used to allow times measured by clock A over here to be validly compared with times measured by clock B over there.

Likes WilliamMGiraldo
In this context "common" means "shared" or "agreed on". We can all agree that everything that happens in the vicinity of B when clearly clock B's hands point to noon happens at the same time, noon according to clock B; and likewise for clock A. But if we want to compare the times of events happening in the vicinity of A and events happening in the vicinity of B we need something more: we need to know whether clock A read noon at the same time as clock B. Einstein is describing exactly what it means to say that they do.

Likes WilliamMGiraldo
Hello
By transposition
[tex]t_B=\frac{t_A+t'_A}{2}[/tex]
Light starts A at 1:00
Light reflects back to A at 3:00
The time when light reaches B should be 2:00, the middle.
It seems reasonable to me.

On a side note, I strongly suggest against trying to learn relativity from the original papers. You will be missing more than 100 years' worth in didactical and pedagogical development with respect to relativity. Once you have learned the theory from modern sources, it will be of historical curiosity to go back and see how the original papers were written.

Likes ComplexVar89, WilliamMGiraldo, jbriggs444 and 1 other person
Hi. Thanks to everybody for replying, I'm very excited to learn this topic.

Orodruin said:
On a side note, I strongly suggest against trying to learn relativity from the original papers. You will be missing more than 100 years' worth in didactical and pedagogical development with respect to relativity. Once you have learned the theory from modern sources, it will be of historical curiosity to go back and see how the original papers were written.

You are right, but I'm not only studying the theory; I'm also studying the man.

sweet springs said:
Hello
By transposition
[tex]t_B=\frac{t_A+t'_A}{2}[/tex]
Light starts A at 1:00
Light reflects back to A at 3:00
The time when light reaches B should be 2:00, the middle.
It seems reasonable to me.

Exactly! But, then, why not just say that at every moment, both clocks display the same value? That would satisfy [tex]t_B-t_A=t'_A-t_B[/tex] and would be a lot less confussing. So I feel I'm not understanding the ideas beneath.

Nugatory said:
In this context "common" means "shared" or "agreed on". We can all agree that everything that happens in the vicinity of B when clearly clock B's hands point to noon happens at the same time, noon according to clock B; and likewise for clock A. But if we want to compare the times of events happening in the vicinity of A and events happening in the vicinity of B we need something more: we need to know whether clock A read noon at the same time as clock B. Einstein is describing exactly what it means to say that they do.

Yeah, that's what he says. But then; is he just saying that the clocks must display the same value? Because he could have said just that [tex]t_B=t_A+\Delta t[/tex] where [tex]\Delta t[/tex] is the time it takes for the light to reach B from A.

WilliamMGiraldo said:
Exactly! But, then, why not just say that at every moment, both clocks display the same value? That would satisfy
tB−tA=t′A−tB​
What does it mean for two clocks to display the same value at the same moment? That is, what does "at the same moment" mean? How do you define it in terms of an experiment that can be performed?

Is there more than one procedure that could be used that would give different results? [hint: the answer is yes].

jbriggs444 said:
What does it mean for two clocks to display the same value at the same moment? That is, what does "at the same moment" mean? How do you define it in terms of an experiment that can be performed?

Is there more than one procedure that could be used that would give different results? [hint: the answer is yes].

Let the A and B clocks be together; they resemble in all aspects each other, so you can tell that the hands of these two clocks are always at the same position with respect to each other. That is, if you put them in a bag, shake it, and randomly get any of them out of the bag, you can't tell if the one you chose is the one who belongs to A or B.

That said, and ignoring the relativistic effects of walking, you walk and put one of these clocks at A and the other at B. ¿Is this what Einstein is trying to say? ¿Why to involve light in the subject?

Hi.

Time Synchronize Officers who adjust their watches to a standard clock at the Central Office, travel around the country and adjust the clocks everywhere to his/her watch. Such a synchronization system works. Correct but boring as you say. The light procedures seem to be redundant.

However, when you proceed to section 3 of the paper, you will find it exciting to compare two synchronized systems that are moving each other and the relation [tex]t_B-t_A=t'_A-t_B[/tex] is quite beneficial to do that. Be patient.

Related to Common Time: Explaining Einstein's Definition

1. What is the concept of "common time" according to Einstein's definition?

According to Albert Einstein, "common time" is the idea that time is relative and can be experienced differently by different observers based on their relative speeds and positions. This concept is a fundamental part of his theory of relativity.

2. How does Einstein's definition of time differ from the traditional understanding of time?

Einstein's definition of time differs from the traditional understanding in that it considers time to be a flexible and relative concept, rather than a fixed and absolute one. This means that time can be experienced differently by different observers, and can also be affected by factors such as gravity and velocity.

3. Can you provide an example of how common time works in the real world?

One example of common time in action is the phenomenon of time dilation, which occurs when an object is moving at high speeds. In this scenario, time will appear to pass slower for the moving object compared to a stationary observer, due to their relative speeds.

4. How does Einstein's definition of time impact our understanding of the universe?

Einstein's concept of common time has greatly impacted our understanding of the universe, particularly in the field of astrophysics. It has helped us to better understand the effects of gravity and how phenomena such as black holes and the expansion of the universe can influence the passage of time.

5. What are some practical applications of Einstein's definition of time?

The concept of common time has practical applications in fields such as GPS technology, where precise time measurements are necessary for accurate location tracking. It also has implications in space travel, as astronauts experience time differently due to their high speeds and distances from Earth.