Combustion potato gun - Need associated variables, ideas and concepts.

In summary, A Year 11 project is due in 5 weeks and the student has decided to build a classic combustion potato gun using pvc piping, a barrel, and hairspray. They are looking for variables, concepts, and formulas to include in their project, such as projectile motion, muzzle velocity, and the effects of wind resistance. Other concepts mentioned include air drag, pressure buildup, frictional drag, and the effect of potato shape. The student is open to any suggestions to improve their project.
SydDF
Hi Guys, I have a Year 11 Project weighted 15% of my year mark due in 5 weeks. For my project I've decided to build a classic combustion potato gun. This gun will consist of pvc piping, barrel, Lantern lighter, any other components and of course hairspray (combustion)

Anyways It is still only an idea as of yet but I am looking for variables, anything i can record. Also any relevant terms, formulaes or concepts I may encounter during my project.

So far I've thought of concepts such as: Projectile motion, Muzzle velocity, angle affectiveness (Predicted 45 degree best), effects of wind resistance ( On a calm day this will be discounted.

Therefore if you have any other concepts that may help in my project, Dont be afraid to say them, ANYTHING! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last time I played with one of these we had problems with repeatability due to all the oxygen being used up in the bore. Used a tin lid on a pole like a ram rod to pump fresh air in.

If you are restricting the experiment to the distance and height that the potato travels once it exits the gun, then you might consider including air drag. If you are considering what happen inside the gun in terms of hairspray and oxygen combustion, pressure buildup, frictional drag on the potato, effect of potato shape, acceleration of potato, the problem is much more meaty, but also much more complicated.

Related to Combustion potato gun - Need associated variables, ideas and concepts.

1. What is a combustion potato gun?

A combustion potato gun is a type of projectile launcher that uses the rapid expansion of gases from a combustion reaction to propel a potato or other object out of a barrel at high speeds.

2. What are the associated variables in a combustion potato gun?

The associated variables in a combustion potato gun include the type and amount of fuel used, the air-to-fuel ratio, the size and shape of the barrel, and the weight and size of the projectile.

3. How does a combustion potato gun work?

A combustion potato gun works by igniting a fuel, such as hairspray or propane, inside a sealed chamber. The rapid expansion of gases from the combustion reaction creates pressure that propels the projectile out of the barrel.

4. What are some safety considerations when using a combustion potato gun?

Some safety considerations when using a combustion potato gun include wearing protective gear, such as safety glasses, gloves, and earplugs, and ensuring that the gun is pointed in a safe direction. It is also important to use caution when handling and storing fuels and to follow all instructions carefully.

5. Are there any legal restrictions on owning or using a combustion potato gun?

The legality of owning or using a combustion potato gun varies by location. In some areas, these devices may be considered firearms and subject to strict regulations. It is important to research and follow all local laws and regulations before owning or using a combustion potato gun.