Combining Sums: Simplifying with Identical Exponents | Homework Example

• Thread starter jegues
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sums
In summary: But if you have a sum starting at n=1 where f(n,x) is not nice in n=1 then the first term will not be zero and so the two terms will not be the same.
jegues

Homework Statement

I'm having some confusion about combining sums. Our goal when combining these sums is to have the,

[tex](x-c)^{\text{whatever}}[/tex]

term to be the same in both sums.

My confusion is better explained in an example. (see below)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's say we have the following 2 sums and we want to simplify them into one sum,

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n-1}[/tex]

As you can see the,

[tex](x-c)^{\text{whatever}}[/tex]

terms are not identical, one is (n+1) and the other is (n-1).

So if we wanted to make the two exponents identical for the first sum we would look as,

[tex]n \rightarrow n-1[/tex],

and plug in (n-1) where all the n's used to be in the first sum, and change the starting point of the sum to 1

Now for the second sum, we would look as,

[tex]n \rightarrow (n+1)[/tex],

and plug in (n+1) where all the n's used to be in the second sum,

***Here's where I get confused***

But my professor had mentioned to the class that this would not change the starting point of the sum to n= -1, it stays at n=0.

Why is that? Can someone please clarify?

Thanks again!

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump, still trying to figure this one out.

[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n-1} =
[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}n\left(x^{n+1} + x^{n-1} \right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1}\left(x^{-2}+1 \right) = \left(x^{-2}+1 \right) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1} [/tex]

Dunno what else to do..

Inferior89 said:
[tex]
\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1} + \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n-1} =
[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}n\left(x^{n+1} + x^{n-1} \right) = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1}\left(x^{-2}+1 \right) = \left(x^{-2}+1 \right) \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} (-1)^{n}2^{n}nx^{n+1} [/tex]

Dunno what else to do..

This doesn't really answer the question I had in the OP.

Ok, then I don't know.

Btw I don't even see any [tex] (x-c)^{\text{whatever}} [/tex] term in any of the sums unless you mean that c = 0. And I made it into one sum with one [tex] x^{\text{whatever}} [/tex] where whatever is a function of n.

Ok. I think the reason it stays at zero is because when you replace n with n+1 and plugin n = -1 for the first term the term will be zero so it doesn't matter if you start your sum at 0 or -1, you will still get the same result.

Inferior89 said:
Ok. I think the reason it stays at zero is because when you replace n with n+1 and plugin n = -1 for the first term the term will be zero so it doesn't matter if you start your sum at 0 or -1, you will still get the same result.

Can anyone else verify this? Is this actually why, or is it just a coincidence?

Me again! ;)

Well it works with all sums where the first term is zero which they are if you have a sum starting at n=0 of n*f(n,x) and f(n,x) is 'nice' in n=0.

Related to Combining Sums: Simplifying with Identical Exponents | Homework Example

What is a combining sums problem?

A combining sums problem is a mathematical problem that involves adding together two or more sets of numbers to find a total sum.

What is the purpose of solving a combining sums problem?

The purpose of solving a combining sums problem is to find the total sum of two or more numbers, which can be useful in many real-life situations such as budgeting, calculating expenses, or analyzing data.

What is the difference between a combining sums problem and a regular addition problem?

A combining sums problem typically involves adding more than two numbers together, while a regular addition problem only involves adding two numbers. Additionally, a combining sums problem may require rearranging the numbers and regrouping them to find the correct solution.

What are some strategies for solving a combining sums problem?

Some strategies for solving a combining sums problem include breaking down larger numbers into smaller parts, using mental math techniques such as rounding, and using algorithms like the "carry over" method for larger numbers.

How can I check my solution for a combining sums problem?

To check your solution for a combining sums problem, you can add the individual numbers together and compare the total to your original answer. You can also use a calculator or ask someone else to solve the problem and compare your solutions.