Combining Inequalities: Finding the Solution Set for Quadratic Inequalities

In summary, if you have two conditions which must both be met for an equation to hold, you can say that the equation holds if and only if the solution set is the union of the sets described by the two conditions.
t_n_p
I want to find value for m for which:

4m2 - 12m > 0

Say I do this algebraically:

4m(m-3) > 0

so m > 0 or m > 3

The answer however is 0 < m and m > 3, I know this as a fact as I have looked graphically.

So, my question is, when done algebraically, how do I get 0 < m instead of m > 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi t_n_p! :smile:
t_n_p said:
4m(m-3) > 0

so m > 0 or m > 3

nooo :redface:

if AB is positive, then either both or neither are positive …

in this case either m > 0 and m > 3 (ie m > 3), or m < 0 and m < 3 (ie m < 0) :wink:

ah ok, so you need to take into account the 2 conditions.

if A = 4m and B = m-3

i.e. condition 1)
A>0 & B>0 yields m>0 and m>3

but m>3 is the overriding (is there a better word to use?) condition

condition 2)
A<0 and B<0 yields m<0 and m<3

but m<0 is the overriding condition

so then I combine the conditions to yield m<0 and m>3

Ok, makes sense now, thanks!

Yes it's called the intersection of the two inequalities :smile:
When you require both inequalities to hold, you say m<0 AND m<3, which leaves the intersection of the two, m<0.

Another way to think of it is this.
If m > 0 AND m > 3, then any number m larger than 3 is automatically larger than 0, so saying m > 0 is redundant. Note however, that a number m that is positive is not necessarily larger than 3.

t_n_p said:
so then I combine the conditions to yield m<0 and m>3

As an aside, I would like to point out an awkwardness of language. The two following statements are different:
  • The solution set is the union of the set described by "m<0" or the set described by "m>3".
  • The solution set is described by the system of inequalities "m<0 and m>3"
Although the English phrase you used could be interpreted either way. (You surely meant the first one)

Related to Combining Inequalities: Finding the Solution Set for Quadratic Inequalities

1. What is a quadratic inequality?

A quadratic inequality is an inequality that contains a quadratic expression, which is an expression with a variable raised to the second power. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c < 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. How do I solve a quadratic inequality?

To solve a quadratic inequality, you can use the same methods as solving a quadratic equation. First, move all terms to one side of the inequality so that it is in the form ax^2 + bx + c < 0. Then, factor the quadratic expression if possible and find the x-intercepts. The solution will be the values of x that make the expression less than 0. You can also use a graphing calculator to visualize the solution.

3. Are there any special cases when solving quadratic inequalities?

Yes, there are two special cases to consider when solving quadratic inequalities. First, if the inequality is in the form ax^2 + c < 0, where b = 0, then the solution will only involve the value of a and c. Second, if the coefficient of x^2 is negative, then the inequality symbol will need to be flipped when finding the solution.

4. How do I know if my solution is correct?

You can check your solution by plugging in the values of x into the original inequality and seeing if it is true. Another way to check is by graphing the inequality and seeing if the x-intercepts match your solution.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic inequality?

Yes, you can use the quadratic formula to solve a quadratic inequality. Just remember that the solution will be the values of x that make the expression less than 0, so you may need to flip the inequality symbol if the coefficient of x^2 is negative.