Combinatorics - Recurrence Relation Question

In summary, for n ≥ 1, the number of ways to write n as the sum of integers in a sequence of any length, where each integer is at least 2, follows the same recurrence relation as the Fibonacci sequence, with different starting values. To prove this relation, the possibilities can be split into two cases: sequences that contain a 2 and those that do not. There is a one-to-one correspondence between these two cases and the sequences in g(n-1) and g(n-2) respectively. The sequences in g(n-1) can be mapped by adding 1 to the last number, while the sequences in g(n-2) can be mapped by appending a 2.
luke8ball

Homework Statement

For n ≥ 1, let g(n) be the number of ways to write n as the sum of
the integers in a sequence of any length, where each integer in the sequence is at least 2.

For n≥3, show that g(n) = g(n-1) + g(n-2).2. The attempt at a solution

I've gone through values of g(n) for small values of 'n,' and it's clear to me that the recurrence relation is the same as that of the Fibonacci, with different starting values of 'n.' However, to prove the relation, I'm trying to split an arbitrary g(n) into two disjoint cases. I feel like somehow I must show that g(n) can be manipulated into two different contexts, one which is the exact same as g(n-1), and another the same as g(n-2). Any ideas? I can't think of how to split this into two cases.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given a summation of integers that sums to n, there are two possibilities: the summation contains a 2 or it doesn't contain a 2.

That makes sense. Looking at the possibilities of sequences written out, there seems to be a one-to-one correspondence between sequences in g(n) which contain a 2 and g(n-1), and a correspondence between those which don't contain a 2 and g(n-2). However, I don't see how to map them to each other?

Actually, scratch that: I might have figured it out.

For those sequences in g(n-1), do you add 1 to the last number in each sequence? That would give you a sequence which sums to n.

For those sequences in g(n-2), you append a 2 to the sequence?

That looks correct to me

Related to Combinatorics - Recurrence Relation Question

1. What is a recurrence relation?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence by relating each term to one or more previous terms. It is used to recursively define a sequence, where each term is determined based on the previous terms.

2. How is a recurrence relation related to combinatorics?

Recurrence relations are often used in combinatorics to solve counting problems involving sequences or combinations. They help to define and analyze the patterns and relationships between different combinations and sequences.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear recurrence relation?

A linear recurrence relation is one in which the next term in the sequence is determined by a linear combination of the previous terms. A non-linear recurrence relation, on the other hand, involves terms that are not directly proportional to the previous terms, making it more complex to solve.

4. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

To solve a recurrence relation, you can use various methods such as substitution, iteration, or generating functions. These methods involve manipulating the original recurrence relation to find a closed-form solution that directly gives the value of any term in the sequence without having to recursively calculate each term.

5. Can recurrence relations be used in real-world applications?

Yes, recurrence relations have many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as computer science, physics, and economics. They can be used to model and analyze various phenomena, including population growth, stock prices, and algorithm complexity, among others.