Combinatorics: a set of 30 from unlimited objects

In summary: Probably will start with 1 colour and work the colours in incrementally.Will do. It's close to midnight in this part of the world so that's a mission for the morrow. Probably will start with 1 colour and work the colours in incrementally.In summary, the problem is asking for the number of ways to choose 30 balls from an unlimited supply of blue, red, green, and white balls. To solve this, the balls can be grouped into four sets of 30, with each set representing a different color. This means that there are 30 balls in each set, and the total number of distinct sets is 30 choose 4. However, this approach is incorrect as it overcounts the number
Lord Anoobis

Homework Statement

In how many ways can you choose 30 balls from an unlimited number of blue, red, green and white balls if you can choose any number of the different coloured balls?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is view the problem as choosing from a set of 30 of each of blue, red, green and white balls which gives us 120, seeing that we must have ##b+r+g+w = 30##. Then the number of distinct sets is ##120 \choose 30##. Is this line of thinking correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Anoobis said:

Homework Statement

In how many ways can you choose 30 balls from an unlimited number of blue, red, green and white balls if you can choose any number of the different coloured balls?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did is view the problem as choosing from a set of 30 of each of blue, red, green and white balls which gives us 120, seeing that we must have ##b+r+g+w = 30##. Then the number of distinct sets is ##120 \choose 30##. Is this line of thinking correct?

No, not correct. Suppose there were only 2 colors. How many different ways to choose? You should be able to figure it out easily, just by thinking about it. Now try using your method and compare the numbers.

Dick said:
No, not correct. Suppose there were only 2 colors. How many different ways to choose? You should be able to figure it out easily, just by thinking about it. Now try using your method and compare the numbers.
Two colours would lead to 31 possible combinations and 1770 the way I used.

Lord Anoobis said:
Two colours would lead to 31 possible combinations and 1770 the way I used.

Ok, so can you think of a way to get the right answer? This is sort of like partitioning the balls into groups, isn't it? Does that ring a bell?

Yes indeed, four groups making up a total of thirty which means we must have ##30 \choose 4##, correct?

Lord Anoobis said:
Yes indeed, four groups making up a total of thirty which means we must have ##30 \choose 4##, correct?

Closer. Think again about the two color case. How would you write that in combinatorial form?

I can see that ##30 \choose 2## does not lead us to 31 if the previous reasoning is followed but I'm not seeing the why of it.

Dick said:
Closer. Think again about the two color case. How would you write that in combinatorial form?
All I can think of is ##31 \choose 1## but I don't see the reasoning behind it.

Lord Anoobis said:
All I can think of is ##31 \choose 1## but I don't see the reasoning behind it.

Imagine a line of 31 balls. Take one ball away. That leaves you with 30 balls split into two groups, those to the left of the missing ball and those to the right. The number of ways to split 30 balls into two groups is the answer to the problem with two colors. Clear enough?

Likes PeroK
Dick said:
Imagine a line of 31 balls. Take one ball away. That leaves you with 30 balls split into two groups, those to the left of the missing ball and those to the right. The number of ways to split 30 balls into two groups is the answer to the problem with two colors. Clear enough?
Hang on. ##30 \choose 2## would apply if we where choosing from 30 different objects. In the case of two colours we are only dealing with 31 distinct sets.

Lord Anoobis said:
Hang on. ##30 \choose 2## would apply if we where choosing from 30 different objects. In the case of two colours we are only dealing with 31 distinct sets.

You need to think more. Your approach at the moment seems to be to take the last two numbers that came up and form a binomial coefficient with them! In this case, you have to really think about transforming the problem into a new problem. Only then can you start counting.

PeroK said:
You need to think more. Your approach at the moment seems to be to take the last two numbers that came up and form a binomial coefficient with them! In this case, you have to really think about transforming the problem into a new problem. Only then can you start counting.
I think a complete restart is in order. I'll get back to this in a bit, work beckons unfortunately.

Lord Anoobis said:

##30 \choose 2## would be taking two balls out of 30, leaving three groups totalling 28 balls.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Lord Anoobis said:
I think a complete restart is in order. I'll get back to this in a bit, work beckons unfortunately.
The transformation PeroK refers to is very elegant, but subtle, and some don't get it even when it is explained to them.
I suggest starting with several very simple examples to see if you can see a pattern.

Likes PeroK
haruspex said:
The transformation PeroK refers to is very elegant, but subtle, and some don't get it even when it is explained to them.
I suggest starting with several very simple examples to see if you can see a pattern.
Will do. It's close to midnight in this part of the world so that's a mission for the morrow.

Related to Combinatorics: a set of 30 from unlimited objects

1. What is combinatorics?

Combinatorics is a branch of mathematics that studies the ways in which objects can be arranged, combined, or selected from a given set.

2. How many ways can 30 objects be selected from an unlimited number of objects?

The number of ways to select 30 objects from an unlimited number of objects is infinite, since there is no limit on the number of objects that can be chosen.

3. Can all possible combinations of 30 objects be calculated?

No, it is not possible to calculate all possible combinations of 30 objects from an unlimited number of objects. As the number of objects increases, the number of possible combinations also increases exponentially, making it impossible to calculate them all.

4. How is combinatorics useful in real life?

Combinatorics has various applications in real life, such as in computer science, statistics, and cryptography. It can be used to analyze and optimize algorithms, make predictions based on data, and develop secure communication systems.

5. What are some common topics in combinatorics?

Some common topics in combinatorics include permutations, combinations, binomial coefficients, and graph theory. Other areas of study may include combinatorial designs, partitions, and generating functions.