Combinatorial counting problem

In summary, we are trying to prove that there is a one to one correspondence between even and odd subsets of the set {0, 1...n}. This can be done by using a combinatorial proof, which is a proof based on counting. The suggested approach is to show that the number of even subsets and odd subsets are equal. This can be done by expanding (1-1)^n and separating the even and odd terms. Another way to approach this is by comparing the relationship between choosing 2i + 1 numbers and 2i numbers.
ploppers

Homework Statement

Show that there is a one to one correspondence between even and odd subsets of the set {0, 1...n}.

Homework Equations

They want a combinatorial proof so basically a proof based on counting?
Perhaps (n choose k) = (n choose n-k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved this problem algebraically by expanding (1-1)^n, however, I do not understand, by counting, how there are the same amount of even subsets as odd. I tried expanding the factorials and trying to simplify but it proved to be unsuccessful. This is the 1st problem of the problem set, I have a feeling that the solution is very simple.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "even subset" mean? Do you mean subsets having an even number of elements or subsets consisting of only even numbers?

My guess is the second interpretation. And if you show the "even" sets and "odd" sets have the same number of elements, wouldn't that do it?

I've solved this problem algebraically by expanding (1-1)^n...

You have:

0 = (1-1)^n = Sum from k = 0 to n of Binomial[n,k](-1)^k =

(add up the even and odd k separately) =

#even subsets - #odd subsets.

Even and odd subsets mean choosing an even amount or odd amount. For example, 4 choose 3 would be an odd subset while 4 choose 2 would be even. Thanks for the responses, that was exactly what I did to prove it algebraically, however, what would the combinatorial proof be?

I've tried to solve the problem further by comparing the relationship between choosing 2i +1 numbers and 2i numbers. (nC2i + 1) = (nC2i)(n - 2i)/(2i + 1). When I sum these, I don't see how they could ever equal...

Related to Combinatorial counting problem

1. What is a combinatorial counting problem?

A combinatorial counting problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves counting the number of ways that a set of objects can be combined or arranged. These types of problems often involve permutations, combinations, and other counting techniques.

2. What are some examples of combinatorial counting problems?

Examples of combinatorial counting problems include counting the number of ways to arrange a deck of cards, the number of possible outcomes in a coin toss, and the number of possible seating arrangements at a dinner table. These types of problems can also arise in fields such as computer science, genetics, and statistics.

3. How are combinatorial counting problems solved?

Combinatorial counting problems can be solved using various techniques, such as permutations and combinations formulas, tree diagrams, and the principle of inclusion-exclusion. In some cases, the use of advanced mathematical concepts such as binomial coefficients and generating functions may be necessary.

4. What are the applications of combinatorial counting problems?

Combinatorial counting problems have many practical applications in fields such as computer science, economics, physics, and chemistry. They can be used to solve problems related to scheduling, probability, optimization, and data analysis.

5. Why is it important to study combinatorial counting problems?

Studying combinatorial counting problems can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also has practical applications in various fields and can aid in decision-making and data analysis. Additionally, combinatorial counting problems are important in understanding and developing more complex mathematical concepts and theories.