Combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together

In summary, the goal of this homework is to design a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together, and outputs the result. Four bits are needed to represent the product, and a 4-bit register is needed for the outputs. The problem is that the table in the text doesn't make much sense, so the student needs to try again. Once the student has designed the circuits for the outputs, they need to write down the equations for the terms in the truth table.
Ramir

Homework Statement

Design a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together, and outputs the result.

Homework Equations

The biggest product will be 3 * 3 = 9.

Four bits to represent the product.

0: 00
1: 01
2: 10
3: 11

I need a 4 bit register for the outputs

The Attempt at a Solution

The biggest product will be 3 * 3 = 9.
Four bits to represent the product.
0: 00
1: 01
2: 10
3: 11

I need a 4 bit register for the outputs, right?

How do I start my truth table? like this?

A B C D | Output | AB | CD

How will I form the expressions from the truth table?
I know how to solve with a K-map, but I'm having a hard time visualizing and building it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ramir said:
A B C D | Output | AB | CD

Welcome to the PF.

I don't think you need the last part of the above -- what is it meant to represent?

Just fill out the truth table with the 2x2-bit inputs and the resulting 4-bit output. Then do a K-map for each of the 4 output bits versus the 4 input bits. Can you show us that truth table?

Hint -- use the [ code ] and [ /code ] tags (without the spaces) around your truth table to enforce uniform spacing of the characters so the columns line up. :smile:

Okay I uploaded a picture. I put the 1's in the K-map after and now i need to form the expression. I build the circuit from the expression then?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    8.1 KB · Views: 2,125
That table doesn't make any sense to me.

The Truth Table for this 2-bit multiplier should have 4 columns of input bits and 4 columns of output bits. The output bits for each row are the binary result of multiplying the two 2-bit input binary numbers.

Try again? :smile:

I uploaded another.. I don't understand how to get the highs in the x,y,z outputs though, what am I looking at to form the logic?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,235
Much better! :smile:

So now you design 4 logic circuits, one each for the W, X, Y and Z outputs. The 4 inputs (A, B, C, D) go into each of the combinatorial circuits.

Use 4 K-maps to design the 4 logic circuits. Can you show us your try at the 4 K-maps?

Here's a look at my K-Map and expressions. Now I take the expressions and build the circuit in a testing program?

Attachments

• Capture321.PNG
    Capture321.PNG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1,593
Great! I checked the K-maps and they look right for W, X, Y and Z (from top to bottom -- they should be labeled).

And yes, now just write down the circuits that correspond to those minterms. Good work. :smile:

Thanks for your help, appreciated greatly! I never turned a big expression like B'CD + A'BD + BCD + ABD + DB into a circuit before. Do I take the expressions for w,x,y,z and put them altogether?

Ramir said:
Do I take the expressions for w,x,y,z and put them altogether?

No, you will make 4 separate circuits; one each for the W, X, Y, and Z output bits for the multiplier. You make each circuit with inverters, AND gates and OR gates (that's one way to implement minterms anyway).

Can you help me set one up, preferably a harder one?

AC'D+ AB'D + BCD' + A'BC

Will I have three Or's in that expression?

Ramir said:
Can you help me set one up, preferably a harder one?

AC'D+ AB'D + BCD' + A'BC

Ramir said:
Will I have three Or's in that expression?

Yes. Sorry for the delay in responding.

You implement that with inverters, AND gates, and OR gates. For the terms like C', use an inverter to make C' from the C input. For terms like AC'D, use a 3-input AND gate. And then use OR gates to implement the "+" operations.

Related to Combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together

What is a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together?

A combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together is a type of digital logic circuit that takes in two binary inputs and produces their product as the output. This type of circuit is commonly used in computer hardware, calculators, and other electronic devices.

How does a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together work?

A combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together works by using basic logic gates, such as AND gates and XOR gates, to perform the multiplication process. The circuit takes in the two binary inputs and uses these gates to manipulate the bits and produce the correct product as the output.

What are the advantages of using a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together?

There are several advantages of using a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together, including its simplicity, speed, and efficiency. These circuits do not require a clock signal and their outputs are immediately available, making them faster than other types of circuits. They also use less hardware components, making them more efficient in terms of cost and size.

Can a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together handle large numbers?

Yes, a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together can handle large numbers. This is because the size and complexity of the circuit can be scaled up to accommodate larger inputs. However, as the numbers get larger, the circuit may require more gates and become slower and less efficient.

Are there any limitations to using a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a combinational circuit that multiplies two numbers together. One limitation is that these circuits can only perform multiplication and not other mathematical operations, such as division or addition. Additionally, the circuit may become more complex and less efficient as the numbers being multiplied get larger.