Combination of translation and spinning, not rolling

In summary, The conversation discusses the rotational dynamics of an object that is both spinning and moving linearly, such as a planet in space or a tiny particle. The participants are seeking resources for the mathematical calculations involved and have discovered that the net tangential velocity is always 2 times the velocity of the center of mass, regardless of translational velocity. They also mention that this phenomenon is surprising as it was previously thought that rolling was a special case.
liometopum
All the texts and sites I can find discuss the rotational dynamics of pure rotation, pure translation, or a combination of an object rolling without slipping. I am trying to resolve some rotational dynamics regarding a spinning object that is moving linearly.. such as a planet in space or a tiny particle. No friction, not rolling. Sort of slipping without friction loss.

I have a diagram attached. The blue arrows represent the linear motion of the center of mass. The linear velocity adds to or subtracts from the tangential velocities of the points on the circumference.

Does anyone have a good source for the math of this option?

Attachments

• spin and translate.jpg
    spin and translate.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 513
Physics news on Phys.org
In working on this, I just found that the net tangential velocity is always 2 times the velocity of the center of mass, regardless of translational velocity. I'd thought rolling was a special case, but surprise... the tangential velocities net out to 2 * velocity of the center of mass.

Related to Combination of translation and spinning, not rolling

1. What is the difference between translation and spinning?

Translation refers to the movement of an object from one location to another, while spinning refers to the rotational movement of an object around its axis.

2. How do translation and spinning combine?

In the context of physics, translation and spinning can combine when an object is both moving in a straight line and rotating around its axis at the same time.

3. What is an example of an object that combines translation and spinning?

A top spinning on a flat surface is an example of an object that combines translation and spinning. The top's bottom point is translating along the surface while the top itself is spinning.

4. What are the forces involved in the combination of translation and spinning?

The forces involved in the combination of translation and spinning include friction, which allows the object to translate, and torque, which causes the object to spin.

5. How is the combination of translation and spinning relevant in real-life applications?

The combination of translation and spinning is relevant in various real-life applications, such as the movement of vehicles, the rotation of turbines in power plants, and the spinning of a ball in sports like baseball and tennis.