Combination and Permutation questions

In summary: Thanks for pointing this out.In summary, the conversation focuses on solving permutation/combination questions, specifically for the equation nC4 = 35 and nC4 = 70. The method of using trial and error is suggested, as well as using the formula for quartic polynomials or looking it up in a reference book. Ultimately, it is determined that n = 7 for both equations.
yc716
Hi,
Can anyone help me with these permutation/combination questions?

Solve the equation for n:
1. nC4 = 35
2. nC4 = 70

It would be really good if I got the answers with full explanations, a.s.a.p. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
THere is nothing wrong with trial and error some times.

nCr is increasing (for a fixed r)

Alternatively write nC4=35 out in factorials and get a 4th order polynomial to solve.

You can improve this since it is the same as n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)=35*24

so n is very close to the 4th root of 35*24

solve(n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)=35*24,n); -4, 7, 3/2 + 1/2 I sqrt(111), cc.

solve(n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)=70*24,n); -5, 8, 3/2 + 1/2 I sqrt(159), cc

I cannot remember the formula for quartic polynomials. Just look up in Abramowich or use Maple.

Last edited:
Since n must be an integer, it's easier to use "trial and error". In particular 6C4= [itex]\frac{(6)(5)}{(2)}[/itex]= 15 which is too small while 7C4= [itex]\frac{(7)(6)(5)}{(3)(2)}[/itex]= 35. Aha!

8C4= [itex]\frac{(8)(7)(6)(5)}{(4)(3)(2)}[/itex]= 70.

yc716 said:
Hi,
Can anyone help me with these permutation/combination questions?

Solve the equation for n:
1. nC4 = 35
2. nC4 = 70

It would be really good if I got the answers with full explanations, a.s.a.p. Thanks.

yes
nC4=n!/4!.(n-4)!=n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)[(n-4)!]/(n-4)!.24=35
now n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)=35*24
n(n-1)(n-2)(n-3)=7*6*5*4
compairing both sides we gwt
n=7
n-1=6 so n=7
ans n=7

This thread is 3.5 years old, doubt that it's going to be of interest to the OP now.

I wondered why I didn't recognize my own response!

Related to Combination and Permutation questions

1. What is the difference between combinations and permutations?

Combinations and permutations are both ways to count the number of possible outcomes in a given situation. The main difference is that combinations are used when the order of the elements does not matter, while permutations are used when the order does matter. For example, if you are choosing three toppings for a pizza, combinations would be used to count the total number of possible combinations of toppings, while permutations would be used to count the number of unique ways to arrange the three toppings on the pizza.

2. What is the formula for calculating combinations?

The formula for combinations is nCr = n! / (r!(n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen. This formula is used when the order of the items does not matter.

3. What is the formula for calculating permutations?

The formula for permutations is nPr = n! / (n-r)!, where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items being chosen. This formula is used when the order of the items does matter.

4. How do I know when to use combinations or permutations?

You should use combinations when the order of the items does not matter, and permutations when the order does matter. Some common keywords that indicate when to use each include "choose" for combinations and "arrange" for permutations.

5. Can combinations and permutations be used in real-world situations?

Yes, combinations and permutations are often used in real-world situations, such as in probability and statistics, in making financial decisions, and in analyzing data. They can also be used in everyday scenarios, such as choosing a lottery ticket or arranging items on a menu.