Cologne & Hair: Smells That Stick & Effects

• Thread starter ShawnD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hair
In summary, if you want to smell like a flower, you should try spritzing perfume or cologne in the air. There might be some weird side effects, but it's better than not having the smell at all.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
Smells tend to stick to hair. If a person smokes cigarettes, you can smell it in their hair. If a person smokes weed, you can smell it in their hair. When somebody gets sprayed by a skunk, the smell stays in their hair the longest.

If smells stay in hair, would it be a good idea to put a small amount of cologne or perfume in one's hair just so the smell is there for a longer period of time? Would there be any weird side effects like the hair changing color, or the scalp drying out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why is this in Scepticism and Debunking? Are you taunting Seeking about his avatar's hair?

Looks like I'm in the wrong forum again. Could somebody move this to general discussion?

I think this is why many shampoos have a scent. :smile:

ShawnD said:
Smells tend to stick to hair. If a person smokes cigarettes, you can smell it in their hair. If a person smokes weed, you can smell it in their hair. When somebody gets sprayed by a skunk, the smell stays in their hair the longest.

If smells stay in hair, would it be a good idea to put a small amount of cologne or perfume in one's hair just so the smell is there for a longer period of time? Would there be any weird side effects like the hair changing color, or the scalp drying out?
Why don't you just try it out? The worst thing that can happen is a horrible mutation. The best is you smell like a pretty flower.

People do that. Spritz a little perfume in the air and sort of duck into it, which gets a light amount in your hair. Personally, I hate perfumes and colognes. The only scent I use is whatever is in the soap and shampoo. But, when I worked in barns often, yep, hair definitely holds the most odors; the moment the hot water would hit my hair... I don't miss the free haircuts either...I'd be trying to get a blood sample from one goat, and another would be behind me chewing on the ends of my hair or my shirt tails.

Two words for hanging out with goats: Hooded sweatshirts. 'Course they eat those, too, but at least you don't get your hair belched on... :smile: :smile:

Related to Cologne & Hair: Smells That Stick & Effects

1. How does cologne affect the smell of hair?

Cologne can have a strong effect on the smell of hair as it contains fragrance compounds that are designed to linger on the skin and hair. When applied to the hair, these compounds can attach to the strands and stay there, creating a long-lasting scent.

2. Can cologne damage hair?

In general, cologne is not harmful to hair as it is primarily made up of water, alcohol, and fragrance. However, if you have sensitive skin or scalp, the alcohol in cologne may cause irritation. Also, using too much cologne can weigh down hair and make it appear greasy.

3. How long does the scent of cologne last on hair?

The longevity of cologne on hair can vary depending on factors such as the type of cologne, the amount applied, and the individual's hair type. On average, the scent can last anywhere from 4-8 hours on hair.

4. Is it safe to spray cologne directly on hair?

It is not recommended to spray cologne directly on hair as it can cause build-up and potentially damage the strands. Instead, it is best to spray the cologne on your body and let it lightly mist onto your hair or to spray a small amount onto your hands and then run them through your hair.

5. Can cologne mask bad hair smells?

Yes, cologne can help mask bad hair smells, but it is not a long-term solution. If you are experiencing persistent bad hair smells, it is important to address the underlying cause, such as poor hygiene or a scalp condition, rather than relying on cologne to cover it up.