Collisions in One and Two Dimensions

In summary, the 1.75 kg ball swings downwards and strikes the 4.75 kg ball that is at rest. The collision is elastic, so the velocities (magnitude and direction) of both balls just after the collision are zero. The 1.75 kg ball swings upwards and then strikes the ball waiting at the bottom, which swings downwards and strikes the 1.75 kg ball again. The 1.75 kg ball swings upwards and then strikes the ground, which gives it its final speed.
helen3743
Ok. I need help in how to even just start this problem.

"Starting with an initial speed of 5.00 m/s at a height of 0.280 m, the 1.75 kg ball swings downward and strikes the 4.75 kg ball that is at rest.

a) Using the principle of conservation of mechanical energy, find the speed of the 1.75 kg ball just before impact.
b) Assuming that the collision is elastic, find the velocities (magnitude and direction) of both balls just after the collision.
c) How high does each ball swing after the collision, ignoring air resistance?"

I know that the formula I will be using is:
0.5mvf^2 + mghf = 0.5mvo^2 + mgho

But I'm confused which m's will be for the first ball and second ball.
I tried to do this:
0.5m1vf1^2 + m2ghf = 0.5m1vo1^2 + m2gho
but then i feel like that doesn't make sense. Why is ho & hf only multiplied by m2 and not m1... I don't know.

And for question a) how do you find the answer right before impact? I know how to find it after impact, and before impact, but how do you find it right before impact?

I need help... thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a) The idea is to totally ignore the existence of the ball waiting at the bottom for the ball that is swinging downwards. We concentrate on the ball swinging downwards and apply the principle of conservation of energy to it. That is its mechanical energy at the top will be equal to its mechanical energy at the bottom
[tex]E_{top}=E_{bottom}[/tex]
each of these two energies may consist of a potential and kinetic energy component of the swinging ball.

Last edited:
How's the second two parts coming along, sshow us what you've deon and we'll point you in the right direction with it all, and btw...This problem isn't technically a two dimensional collision problem, but that is of no concern to us now.

Related to Collisions in One and Two Dimensions

What is a collision in one dimension?

A collision in one dimension refers to a situation where two objects come into contact and exchange energy along a straight line, with no other forces acting on them.

What is a collision in two dimensions?

A collision in two dimensions refers to a situation where two objects come into contact and exchange energy along multiple directions, with other forces potentially affecting their motion.

What factors affect the outcome of a collision in one dimension?

The outcome of a collision in one dimension is affected by the masses and velocities of the objects involved, as well as the elasticity of the collision.

How is momentum conserved in a collision in one dimension?

In a collision in one dimension, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains constant, meaning the sum of the momentums of the objects involved is the same.

What is the difference between an elastic and inelastic collision in two dimensions?

An elastic collision in two dimensions is one where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost as the objects stick together or deform upon impact.