Collisions: Ball with initial velocity is kicked, force of kick?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 10 g ball being kicked at a speed of 5 m/s at an angle of 35° and flying off at 25 m/s. The known variables are mass, initial velocity, angle, and final velocity. The equations used are momentum and force, with the attempt at solving for acceleration using impulse and change in momentum. The conversation ends with clarification on the equation for impulse and change in momentum.
Merlinnair

Homework Statement

A 10 g ball going at a speed of 5 m/s is kicked, and flies off at an angle of 35° at 25 m/s. What was the force of kick?
Known:
m = 0.0010 kg
vi = 5 m/s
θ = 35°
vf = 25 m/s

Homework Equations

mvi = mvf
F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Would this count as an inelastic collision?
In the x direction:
.0010g(5m/s) + m(0m/s) = (.0010 kg + m)(25cos35)

After that, I'm really not sure how to get to the acceleration...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is an impulse-momentum problem, not a momentum conservation problem. (You'll need the time during which the kick was applied.)

In that case, I might have forgotten a variable, as I don't have the question with me. So if I had the time...

Impulse is F/t and change in momentum right?

So then, all I'd have to do is set F/t = p_i - p_f?

Merlinnair said:
Impulse is F/t and change in momentum right?
Almost. Impulse is F*t, not F/t.
So then, all I'd have to do is set F/t = p_i - p_f?
Set impulse = Δp. (FYI: Change in something is always final - initial.)

Oh, right, typo on the change in part, and I really do need to start memorizing my equations. Thanks for your help!

Related to Collisions: Ball with initial velocity is kicked, force of kick?

1. What is the equation for calculating the velocity of a ball after being kicked?

The equation for calculating the velocity of a ball after being kicked is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the force of the kick affect the trajectory of the ball?

The force of the kick affects the trajectory of the ball by determining the initial velocity of the ball. The greater the force of the kick, the higher the initial velocity and the farther the ball will travel.

3. Can the angle of the kick also impact the ball's trajectory?

Yes, the angle of the kick can also impact the ball's trajectory. The angle at which the ball is kicked can change the direction of its initial velocity, resulting in a different trajectory.

4. What happens to the ball's velocity if it collides with another object?

If the ball collides with another object, its velocity will change. The change in velocity will depend on the mass of the object it collides with, the angle of the collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision).

5. How does the mass of the ball affect its collision with another object?

The mass of the ball affects its collision with another object by determining the amount of force that is exerted on the object during the collision. A heavier ball will exert more force on the object compared to a lighter ball, resulting in a different outcome of the collision.