Collision Problem: Find Height & Heat Released

In summary, a 0.1 kg ball free falls from a height of 1 m and hits the ground with a k value of 0.5. The height it will reach after the hit can be calculated using the equation h2=k^2h1, resulting in a height of 0.25 m. The heat quantity released by the collision can be calculated using the equation mgh2=mv2^2/2, which can be simplified to h2=v2^2/2g. By replacing v2 with kv1, the equation becomes h2=k^2h1, resulting in a value of 0.25 for h2.
Xsnac

Homework Statement

a ball of mass 0.1 kg, is free falling from the height (h1) of 1 m. hits the ground with a k = 0.5.
##k=\frac{v_2}{v_1}##
A)Height that the ball will reach after the hit.
B)The heat quantity released by collision

Homework Equations

I think ##mgh## and ## \frac{mv^2} {2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I found ##h_2## = 0,1 m , is this correct? .
divided the process in 2 steps :
##mgh_1= \frac {mv^2_1}{2}## and found ##v_1=\sqrt{2gh_1}##
and then did the same for the other 2 parts of the "movie"
##mgh_2= \frac {mv^2_2}{2}## and found ##h_2=\frac{v_2^2}{2g} ##
then I just replaced ##v_2## and calculated ##h_2##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Xsnac said:
k=v2v1
I guess that means k=v2/v1.

0.1m is not correct. What did you get as intermediate results?

By the way: decimal point instead of comma in English.

mfb said:
I guess that means k=v2/v1.

0.1m is not correct. What did you get as intermediate results?

By the way: decimal point instead of comma in English.
well i found ## h_2 = \frac {k \sqrt{2gh_1}} {2g} ##

That equation is wrong (it has wrong units, it cannot work), but if you don't show your individual steps it is impossible to tell what exactly went wrong.

mfb said:
That equation is wrong (it has wrong units, it cannot work), but if you don't show your individual steps it is impossible to tell what exactly went wrong.
Ok let's see. after the 4 equations I posted on the first thread I found out ##h_2## with the following steps :
## \frac{mv^2_2}{2}=mgh_2## => ##h_2=\frac{v^2_2}{2g} ## , then I replace ##v^2_2## with ## (kv_1)^2## ok I found the error i think ? ##h_2=k^2h_1## ?? should it be 0,25 ?

Last edited:
Xsnac said:
Ok let's see. after the 4 equations I posted on the first thread I found out ##h_2## with the following steps :
## \frac{mv^2_2}{2}=mgh_2## => ##h_2=\frac{v^2_2}{2g} ## , then I replace ##v^2_2## with ## (kv_1)^2## ok I found the error i think ? ##h_2=k^2h_1## ?? should it be 0,25 ?
Yes.

Related to Collision Problem: Find Height & Heat Released

1. What is the collision problem and why is it important in scientific research?

The collision problem refers to the study of the impact and interaction between two or more objects. It is an important area of research because it helps us understand the effects of collisions in various phenomena, such as in particle physics, astrophysics, and engineering.

2. How do scientists calculate the height of an object involved in a collision?

The height of an object involved in a collision can be calculated using the equation h = v^2/2g, where h is the height, v is the initial velocity of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat released during a collision?

The amount of heat released during a collision is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity and mass of the colliding objects, the type and properties of the materials involved, and the duration and type of collision (elastic or inelastic). The angle and speed of impact can also play a role.

4. How can the heat released during a collision be measured?

The heat released during a collision can be measured using a variety of methods, such as temperature sensors, thermal cameras, or thermocouples. These instruments can record the change in temperature of the colliding objects and calculate the amount of heat released based on the specific heat capacity of the materials.

5. How is the collision problem relevant to real-world applications?

The collision problem has many real-world applications, such as in the design and testing of safety features in cars and airplanes, the study of impact events in space, and the development of new materials that can withstand high-velocity impacts. Understanding collisions can also help us predict and prevent potential disasters, such as asteroid impacts or train derailments.